Feedback button language

• 24 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • QPN Level 4 ●●●●
  • 216 replies

Hi,
I have made an intercept with a "feedback button" creative type.
I have maintained the translations for the feedback button text.
In my intercept rules, I have a part that checks "if current url contains nl_BE" and in the embedded data of the intercept I have Q_Language = static value NL.
This setup works correctly for the survey itself: when I am on a page with nl_BE in the url, and I open the feedback button, the survey is in Dutch (NL).
However,
The text of the button itself remains in English!
My browser language is English, and if I change my browser language, the button text does change languages as well.
But the whole purpose of my setup with url contains nl_BE and the Q_Language ED is to improve the language selection, as the browser language isn't the correct one to use (you can't put an English button text on a Dutch site...)
So, am I doing something wrong, or is this a shortcoming of the Qualtrics platform that the button text doesn't take the set language of the ED into account?

4 replies

Badge +2

Hi Joyca,
I am not sure if I understand the issue correctly and there could be a few things that have gone wrong in the set up.

1. I would suggest that you customize the survey link that is added to the intercept with a query string: Q_Language=NL and then the survey should display in the right language: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/standard-elements/passing-information-through-query-strings/#PassingInformationIntoASurvey

2. If the survey is displayed in the right language but the button is still in English, I would further ensure that the "message" you have created for the button is set up correctly, as you have mentioned NL_BE which makes me assume that you have a custom language set up which may have English as the default option instead of Dutch.https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-tools/translate-survey/#CustomLanguages

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Smarti,
Thanks for your reply.
Point #1 isn't my problem. My survey is coming through in the correct language.
Point #2 however, that is indeed my problem. The button is still in English.
What do you mean with the "message" for the button?
Button texts are maintained in the button Creative's translation menu, these don't work with library messages. It also doesn't support custom languages. I'm not using a custom language either, it's just the website which has nl_BE in the url, which via the intercept condition "url contains nl_BE" I am kind of "mapping" onto the embedded data Q_Language = NL. Which perfectly works for the actual survey. But not for the button text.

Meanwhile I had opened a ticket with support, and they told me:

It looks like using Q_Language will not help to default the language for the intercept, as you were able to test the translation would read the language of the browser as per the option you currently have selected on the advance options. If you select Browser language, then the intercept will match the site visitor’s browser language, provided you have a translation uploaded for that language. If you do not have that translation available, the intercept will default to the language you originally wrote it in.

That being said you might be able to use the Global Javascript variable option instead. The global Javascript variable is your custom mechanism for indicating the language to show the intercept in. Determining this variable will require that you sync closely with your IT or web development team.

I would recommend referring to this support page, and reach out to you team for this case.

Indeed I hadn't noticed the "advanced settings" button yet in the creative translations menu. And indeed there is a setting for either browser languge or javascript variable.
It's a pity that there isn't an option for looking at the same Q_Language variable as the survey does.
image.png

Badge +2

Hi Joyca,
Sorry, but I always use embedded surveys for intercepts so then the translation is maintained in the survey itself and the button aligns with the survey language.
However, considering that there is a Javascript option in the advanced settings you may have someone in your organisation (google tag manager) who can set that up and you add the javascript field in the "Embedded data" options of your intercept
image.png
have you tried calling Qualtrics Support to get some assistance? Of course they would not be able to help you with custom coding (so not the Javascript "solution") but may find another way to force the translation button to appear.
All the best

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi Smarti,
Thanks for your reply.
Point #1 isn't my problem. My survey is coming through in the correct language.
Point #2 however, that is indeed my problem. The button is still in English.
What do you mean with the "message" for the button?
Button texts are maintained in the button Creative's translation menu, these don't work with library messages. It also doesn't support custom languages. I'm not using a custom language either, it's just the website which has nl_BE in the url, which via the intercept condition "url contains nl_BE" I am kind of "mapping" onto the embedded data Q_Language = NL. Which perfectly works for the actual survey. But not for the button text.

Meanwhile I had opened a ticket with support, and they told me:

It looks like using Q_Language will not help to default the language for the intercept, as you were able to test the translation would read the language of the browser as per the option you currently have selected on the advance options. If you select Browser language, then the intercept will match the site visitor’s browser language, provided you have a translation uploaded for that language. If you do not have that translation available, the intercept will default to the language you originally wrote it in.

That being said you might be able to use the Global Javascript variable option instead. The global Javascript variable is your custom mechanism for indicating the language to show the intercept in. Determining this variable will require that you sync closely with your IT or web development team.

I would recommend referring to this support page, and reach out to you team for this case.

Indeed I hadn't noticed the "advanced settings" button yet in the creative translations menu. And indeed there is a setting for either browser languge or javascript variable.
It's a pity that there isn't an option for looking at the same Q_Language variable as the survey does.
image.png

@JoycaV It’s an old thread. But I’m wondering if you managed to make the Javascript variable option work. I can’t seem to get that to work.

Leave a Reply