How to deal with a disabled API token? | XM Community
Solved

How to deal with a disabled API token?

• 11 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hi, new-ish Canvas admin here,

One of my users had requestied the Qualtrics API Token so they can link their “admin suitable account for the upcoming fall semester.”

I gave them the instructions on how to find it, but they responded with:

“My API token is disabled. I only see "Link: API Documentation" with "The API is not enabled for your account.“

I’ve searched for “API token disabled” in various forms, but no luck so far.

What do I need to do to enable their API token?

Thanks,

David A

icon

Best answer by ManfredBM 16 August 2023, 17:58

View original

5 replies

Badge +2

I did find this:

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/sp-administration/managing-users/user-permissions/#:~:text=Access%20API%3A%C2%A0User%20can%20access%20the%20Qualtrics%20v3%20API.%20This%20permission%20is%20often%20required%20for%20many%20extensions%20to%20function%20properly%20within%20Qualtrics

which points here:

https://api.qualtrics.com/

but I’m stymied. I cannot find anything regarding enabling API tokens.

Any help is appreciated!

Userlevel 5
Badge +32

Hi @DavidA1225,
to the best of my knowledge, I don’t think that API tokens have to be enabled.
They are just disabled automatically, when a new API token is created.  

As for your original question:
Do your users have the user rights to use / create API tokens?

EDIT:
My users see this, when API usage is not enabled for their account.

Badge +2

Hi Manfred,

As I mentioned, I’m new-ish to Qualtrics (long time sys & app admin, but new to Qualtrics); I assumed our people can use/create API tokens, but how would I know (how to check)? I know I can generate an API token for myself, but I’m an admin, so may not count. I have tried a couple of standard users, and they cannot generate a token either (see image below), so they may not be able to. The mail they send would come to me, so …

How do I enable the use of API tokens? I guess it’s back to the documentation.

Thanks,

David

Userlevel 5
Badge +32

In the settings for the respective users (or user groups), just enable the “Access API” user right:

Badge +2

Yes, this is the correct answer, which I found independently thanks to a co-worker who previously dealt with this.

It’s a shame that Qualtrics support didn’t think to mention that tidbit. It might have saved me several hours of reading and experimenting.

Thank you

Leave a Reply