Emailing respondents only displayed questions | XM Community
Skip to main content

Newb here. I work in a university career center and am trying to direct students to appropriate resources.
My survey ends with "suggestions", which are text/graphic questions that use display logic based on respondents' earlier answers. These suggestions have links for additional resources.
I want to email respondents only the suggestions that appear for them at the end of their survey. When I try to use piped text in my email trigger, all of the suggestions are emailed to respondents.
I think there might be a way to do this with embedded data, but I can't figure it out.
Any help is much appreciated!

You can build an embedded data string by adding to it through a series of survey flow branches, then pipe that string.
string =

if suggestion1 not empty
    string = ${e://Field/string}
  • ${e://Field/suggestion1}

• ...etc...
    string = ${e://Field/string}

TomG, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. I think your answer is a bit out of my depth. I'll have to do some reading/Youtubing about what you wrote when I have time tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Hi there, TomG definitely has the right of it to use Survey Flow, branching, and embedded data. You can condition the branches so that an Embedded Data field is only set if a Text/Graphic is displayed to the respondent. Then after all the branches have been gone through, you can combine all the Embedded Data fields into a single one and pipe this combined field into the Email that gets sent out. In the below example the URLs are separated by line breaks, so there there will probably be some blank rows as some of the "Suggestion#" Embedded Data fields will be blank. Your Survey Flow could looks something like the below:
BranchEmbedURL.png
Alternatively, you could create a Workflow for each potential URL combination and add conditions to them so they only happen if the right question combinations are displayed.

Tom_1842,
Thank you for taking the time to respond. It's really helpful. I'll be playing with this later in the afternoon.
Really appreciate the knowledge and kindness displayed in just this short question.

It works! Thanks everyone!

Leave a Reply