Opt out versus remove from mailing list | XM Community
Question

Opt out versus remove from mailing list

• 21 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

What is the best practice for this situation? We are a B2B provider so we have high value contacts and deep relationships. We do an annual relationship survey every year and often times we have people who complete the survey every year. From our boucebacks, we have determined many people who have left the company. Should I mark these as an opt-out even though it is not a customer requested opt out? I want to keep our directory as clean as possible and avoid getting them included in future surveys. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I don’t work in B2B so my suggestion may not be relevant, but, unless you see value in keeping the contact history for these bouncebacks, if you have the right permissions I would recommend deleting those who have left their companies from your Directory instead of opting them out. Their emails are now undeliverable so they are no longer useful.

But if you don’t have permissions to delete contacts, and your brand admin will not do so, then opting these contacts out of the Directory is the next best option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I would agree with @MatthewM . In addition to his reasoning, if you mark them as Optout, if they are ever rehired, you won’t be able to reach out to them since you won’t know if they actually opted out.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I agree with deleting contacts if they are no longer with the company. You could maybe keep a list of all deleted contacts elsewhere though, so that you have a record of them.

Leave a Reply