Using Segments to send daily survey emails within a workflow | XM Community
Skip to main content
Question

Using Segments to send daily survey emails within a workflow

• 20 June 2024
  • 9 replies

We are in the process of moving all of our automations over to workflows. these automations include survey invite distributions via email. Qualtrics support has told me that workflows do not support segments so wondering how those who currently send survey invite emails via segments are going to do so moving forward as Qualtrics transitions us out of automations into workflows?  

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +36

@kschaefer Regardless of whether you are updating your directory via Automation or Workflows shouldn’t affect your ability to send a survey out via segments. In the workflows you can trigger a survey invite when someone is added to segment. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your question.

Badge +1

@jmborzick Thank you for your reply!

so with this task, the survey would send as soon as the segment were updated? we are currently updating segments daily with a daily extract to the directory - so once the directory is updated, the segment is updated, and the survey will trigger to send to anyone new in that segment?

Would you recommend this for invites and invite reminders as well? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +36

That is correct. Whenever someone is added to the directory you can have a survey automatically sent to the new addition. However, this will not work for reminders; that would need to be set up separately.

You would set a workflow to update the directory contacts with a field when they complete the survey. Once they have that field, you could have them removed from the segment. Within the directory you would then create a series of reminder emails that would send at a pre-programmed time to anyone who has not yet completed the survey. 

Badge +1

@jmborzick would that be an experience iD change using interactions and then update XM directory contacts as a task?

Userlevel 6
Badge +36

@kschiedemeyer Correct. 

Badge +1

are you also using responseID  as the data field?

It looks like Qualtrics library is not syncing with workflows (apparently this is across the board) so we have to manually copy and paste - issue is colors and layout don't necessarily carry over how are you/ are you working around this issue or waiting for a resolve? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +36

@kschaefer Could you tell me more about “colors and layout?” I’m unclear as to what you’re referring. 

Regarding loading the details from the segment into the email, I skipped a step in my original description. 

The trigger is “Experience iD Segements” a member is added to the segment

The first task is: “Load XM Directory Contact Details” The contact ID is: ~{qde://objectId}

The second Task is: “XM Directory” Distribution type: Individual & Method: Email

Badge +1

ah got it - and that additional task is for invites and reminders?

I have invite and reminder copy built out in libraries - turns out you need to turn the message type to general in order to be able to select them as an option for email distribution

Userlevel 6
Badge +36

The additional task grabs the data from the directory so it’s there to load into the email. 

It’s not going to help with reminder emails though. This  workflow will only work for initial emails. If you want reminders, you’d need to set the workflow above to add an additional piece of embedded data to the directory data. You’d then create another segment and build it to bring in people who don’t have that embedded data field and have been in your directory more than x number of days. You could then build reminder emails off the new segment. 

Leave a Reply