💼 Ideal Work Settings | Badge of the Month | July 2021 | XM Community

💼 Ideal Work Settings | Badge of the Month | July 2021

Badge +48

Badge of The Month July 2021How To Participate

During the first week of each month, we will post a new question, topic, or activity for you to connect with the community and earn a badge. All community members who contribute a thoughtful comment to this month’s discussion, between July 8 and July 30,  will receive this badge worth 10 points.

Badge Of The Month | July 2021

Question: Where is your favorite place to work? Alternatively, what’s your ideal working situation?
As mentioned in this Qualtrics blog post, recent studies show that 40% of Americans prefer to work from home full-time; whereas 25% prefer to work from the office full-time, and 35% prefer a combination of the two. Maybe you have always worked from home, maybe you never have. Tell us about your ideal workspace - whether it’s that coffee shop down the street, your couch, or the office!

12 replies

Badge +48

Personally, I am a huge fan of the hybrid model, combining work-from-home and work-from-office! Prior to the pandemic, I had never experienced work-from-home.  During the beginning of the pandemic, I really enjoyed the privacy and flexibility that working from home allowed me. I love my apartment, so I didn’t mind being restricted to the small space. Additionally, I learned that as a distractible person, I’m most productive in solitary environments, such as my apartment. However, I started to get a little bit stir crazy around month 9 of the pandemic. I soon found myself going into the office a few times a week to boost morale and change things up. In striking a balance between wfh and wfo, I was able to achieve both productivity and happiness. So excited that Qualtrics is shifting to the hybrid model 😊!

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

I agree with AmaraW. I worked from home for 6 years in a previous role and like the office better. However sometimes home is better if I need peace and calm to focus (given that the kids aren't home).

Userlevel 7
Badge +56

The pandemic period has taught me a great deal about work environments, most importantly that the ideal working environment is different for everyone. Personally, while I like the flexibility of working remotely -- and enjoy doing it from home, a coffee shop, or even outside on the deck or pool -- I miss the social interaction and informal face to face meetings that happen in the office. And I miss having a dedicated space that is all mine, where I can keep books, bobbleheads, etc.(Here's a photo of part of my bobblehead collection at my office desk).
2bobble pic.jpg
My opinions of managing teams have also changed greatly while my organization is in a maximum telework posture. Previously, I thought as a team lead I needed to be co-located with my team and in the office at least as often as they are in order to manage them effectively, to be available for them, and to communicate at the needed level and frequency. I've found that my team is as communicative and efficient -- if not more so -- working remotely as we were when we were all in the office together four days a week. Our communications are more intentional and when we do have scheduled meetings, they are either more efficient and we are able to give each other time back, or we fill the allotted time with relevant and timely discussions. We are also able to work according to our own rhythms, so while I prefer to start and end earlier, my team tends to come in a bit later in the morning and stay working until later in the evening.
I'm very interested in hearing about other members' experiences as we continue to navigate the "new world," and contemplate a return to the office in some form. I'm hoping for more of a hybrid approach that combines the benefits of working at home with those of being together in an office with one's colleagues.

Userlevel 6
Badge +37

Hybrid is synonym of liberty in my case !

Sure, I'm missing my teammates and I'm planning to go to the office at least 1-2 times a week, for lunching together or having some IRL meetings, but having no transportation make a great difference in my life (despite I'm only at 15 minutes of my office !).
I will definitely ban the phone for contacting clients cause it is so much easier by video conference !

I have the chance to work for a company that give me confidence and the possibility to choose my destiny, so I'm planning to live in France for 1 year, still working with them.
It has never been conceivable before and it's going to be my reality... WOW !

Userlevel 6
Badge +45

I've been working from home since March 2020 and I absolutely love it! If remote work is here to stay then I can dream of one day in the future when I can have a home in a warmer climate where I spend my winter months and my home here in the mountains where I spend my summer months. It would be the best of both worlds! And if I ever wanted to take my work on the road, I could travel in an RV on my days off and set up my "office" anywhere there's good WiFi during the work week. It's amazing how many possibilities are available when working remotely.

Userlevel 6
Badge +51

I love going to the office and it is my favorite place to work because I can share with my team teams from work and random things from life.
I also like staying at home, because I dont have to wake up so early and I have all I need here!
My ideal working situations is and hybrid, I am going to start working at the office 3 days per week and I think it is great!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

I love if its hybrid so i can work from office, meet my colleagues and also work from home and spend quality time with family and kids.

Userlevel 4
Badge +21

My corner of CyberSpace is tucked away in my basement and I love it here and never want to go back to an office again.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

My favorite place to work from is the one that feels right at that moment!
I'm a go-with-the-flow person and I wish the same flexibility from my organization and give the opportunity to my team to listen to themselves to find their invigorating space. I often feel better at the office in rush periods because the energy of being in the work environment is stimulating to me. When I feel tired, easily distracted or more solitary, I can stay at home for days or even weeks. At some point, I needed some change from the daily routine and I've traveled for 3 months straight while working from hostels or Airbnb's.
With our team setup, 1-on-1 checkpoints, non-work related sessions to disconnect, it was easy before the pandemic to stay in touch with the team. The pandemic only proved to more people that it was possible!

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

My ideal working scenario is hybrid, probably 3 days work and 2 days from home...

Work from home offers:

Flexibility, Saves commute time (2.5 hours - per day for me), Better work life balance
Work from office offers:

Better and more efficient collaboration, Team bonding

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

I thought I would like all-remote, all the time, but the past year or so has taught me different! My ideal now would be to go in office for two days a week or so, in order to connect informally with colleagues and have in-person meetings. Then I'd love to be home the other three days, with the goal of doing more focused and uninterrupted work.
And then of course, I would love the flexibility to decide day-to-day as things come up...inclement weather, appointments, etc.

Badge +6

Very timely question. I have been working from home since March 2020 and I have to say that I love it. I have a great work set up at home, which I had created BEFORE the pandemic, so it has served me very well when WFH became mandatory. Being at home allows me to focus much better and, I believe, be more productive (our work environment was nothing but cubicles with low walls, so we could hear everyone around us). I have no kids at home, no distractions and it has allowed me to maintain a much better routine for staying active and I love being home with my animals.
That being said, I do miss FTF interactions with my teammates and key partners at work. The plan is for our team to become a "Hybrid-home" team, with our primary work space being at home and then come into the office 1-2 days per week, or as needed. We won't have a permanent work space in the office but will use "hotel" spaces where we can work. I am very excited about this arrangement, which allows me to continue to WFH the bulk of the time, but also lets me work from the office when it makes sense to do so (or when I need a change of scenery or some human interaction!)

Leave a Reply