How to implement videos/clips in Qualtrics but maintain full control over what participants can do? | XM Community
Solved

How to implement videos/clips in Qualtrics but maintain full control over what participants can do?

• 23 April 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I want to display videos/clips to participants. I would like to have full control over the video/clip: I would like to control whether the video autoplays or not, I would like to control whether the participant can click on any control buttons, I would like to control whether the participant can maximize the video, increase the volume etc. I want to also make sure I can prevent participants from downloading/seeing the video apart from in that specific Qualtrics questions. That is to say, I don’t want them to be able to click on it to go the website (e.g. vimeo/youtube) or be able to Download it straight from Qualtrics.

I would like to stay in the same browser and not go to other browsers.

Youtube does not work as a solution, even with coding due to changes in their documentation (see the changes around 2016, if I remember correctly).

Vimeo does not seem to cut it too as I can’t find a way to use coding to have that amount of control (checked forums myself already, but might have missed something).

The only option I am hopeful is to use my own website. I’ve tried pulling an mp4 from my website via URL – see the testing webpage I have here - https://www.superrecognisers.com/copy-of-faq. As you can see there is a video there and currently, it is accessible to anyone and the user has full control over it by right-clicking (e.g. loop, play buttons, volume, maximizing, downloading, copying link etc). I can control those from Wix.

I would like to find out if there is any way that I can do what I described above: include videos in Qualtrics but have full control over them. This includes any way including paying a service for some further permission (e.g. vimeo, wix). Usually, on the forum what is said is that this can be done through “JavaScript code” but this does not give me an insight into how precisely I can do it – what’s the logic that I can use…

Custom code might not be the best way to go about it - I am just not 100% sure how the Qualtrics' platform functions in the backend to know if there is a way at all.

Nonetheless, if you've encountered such an issue, I'd be happy to hear comments.

Thank you for your help!

Nikolay
icon

Best answer by Super_Recognisers 26 April 2019, 18:51

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
@nikolay_petrov,

Have you looked into the .gifv format (Imgur Gifs with sound?) It might be minimal enough for you compared to the dedicated video players, i.e., you'll have less stuff to override/hide:

Example:
https://i.imgur.com/zpkEe8L.gifv
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Hi everyone and @KoalaTricks,

I've actually found an OK solution for the time being - I've used my own website to upload a video and then pulled it through to Qualtrics using a simple iframe.

Then, to prevent participants from interacting w/ the video, I've placed a transparent div element on top of the iframe and disabled the clicks on it. For more details see this answer here - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8595909/how-to-completely-disable-any-mouse-click

Best wishes,
Nikolay

Leave a Reply