How to make the "next" button say something different on Table of Contents vs the Response Summary? | XM Community

How to make the "next" button say something different on Table of Contents vs the Response Summary?

• 17 December 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Here is my scenario: I have a survey where it is critical that people review their responses before submitting the survey and so I needed a submit button that clearly states that clicking it is final and they cannot go back (we cannot allow people to go back into their survey once submitted for specific reasons). Since you can modify what each page's "previous" and "next" buttons say but you cannot modify the buttons on the Response Summary page, the advice I was given by Qualtrics was to have the default text for all "next" buttons say what I want it to say on the Response Summary page (since this is the last page they see before submitting), and then go to each block before that and modify those buttons to simply say something like "next." This advice worked out very well for me.
The problem is that I now need to incorporate the Table of Contents element and it, like the Response Summary page, cannot have its buttons modified separately from the rest. The text I need for my Response Summary page doesn't make sense on my Table of Contents, so I am wondering if anyone can suggest a way, perhaps through custom code, of allowing me to modify what the "next" button says on the Table of Contents element specifically. (Or a different way of changing what the "next" button says on the Response Summary page.)
Thanks so much!

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +17

I don't know if this helps, but you can control the Next/Previous buttons per block. I often have the last next button in the survey to be "submit."

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi MSobotta. Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, that isn't the issue. I already have the last button, which appears on the Response Summary, appearing as "submit", and I have changed the buttons per block, as you have mentioned, to have different text appear. My issue is that I wish to have the Table of Contents page, which does not have modifiable next/previous buttons. So, if I get the button to say "submit" on the Response Summary page (which I need it to), it will also say "submit" on the Table of Contents page (which is the problem).
If anyone knows how to get around this issue via JS or any other tricks, please let me know. That would be amazing!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I have elaborated on this problem in a separate discussion. Please see here: https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/19165/how-to-make-the-next-button-say-something-different-on-table-of-contents-vs-the-response-summary/p1?new=1

Leave a Reply