Is it possible to center labels over the appropriate choices on a likert matrix question? | XM Community

Is it possible to center labels over the appropriate choices on a likert matrix question?

• 28 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Here's what I have currently using the "Add Labels" option.
image.pngThis is roughly what I'm hoping for, which is preferable from a psychometric perspective.
image.pngI'm by no means experienced with coding, but I've also tried using HTML and CSS to make the labels myself. This is as close as I've gotten:
image.pngUnfortunately, this solution is not stable across different window/screen sizes. Here's how it looks on a smaller screen:
image.pngAny help would be much appreciated! I am admittedly a bit frustrated but that is probably owed to my inexperience with pushing Qualtrics beyond its apparent limits like this.
My preference would be to make the native labels work if possible, as I've already implemented some code I found on here to repeat the labels throughout the matrix which does not seem to work with the manually-created labels.
let choice_table = this.getChoiceContainer();
let new_row = choice_table.insertRow(7); //Creates a new, empty row.
new_row.innerHTML = choice_table.rows[0].innerHTML; //the 0 row is the header row. Sets new row = header.
This question does not need to be mobile friendly as I'll be using embedded data to direct mobile participants to a separate mobile-friendly block.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi,
I might sound stupid but I think you can simply addd the text with the scale text only " Strongly disagree - 1" as first scale and so on..
regards,
samarth

Badge +1

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/51491#Comment_51491Hi Samarth,
Thanks for weighing in! That would be ideal in many ways except for making the columns very uneven. That was the original route I went with but I ended up deciding to use the labels after reading several posts on here recommending using them instead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

qualtricsnovice
If label is the approach you're going with just add 4 labels on your 4 scale points and add a space in the middle 2 it will auto keep that space there and will show correctly on different screen sizes.
Hope it helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

qualtricsnovice,
Add a middle label with the content   then try this:
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
var labels = jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" .SpreadLabels th");
labels.filter(".First,.Last").css({"text-align":"center","width":"20%"}).removeAttr("width");
labels.eq(1).css("width","60%").removeAttr("width");
});
At some point, when the screen gets small enough, the labels will overrun the cells, but I think this is best you'll be able to do with the current format.

Badge +1

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/51497#Comment_51497https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/51500#Comment_51500Thank you both! 🤠

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

I have never seen anyone use both sentiment AND a scale like this before. What is the reasoning behind that? Just trying to learn different approaches :)

Leave a Reply