Randomly ordered table with randomly assigned values within them | XM Community
Question

Randomly ordered table with randomly assigned values within them

• 28 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Hello!
I'm new to Qualtrics and working on a table of information to display to respondents. I need to randomize both the rows of the table and the information within the table. For example, I'm asking respondents to decide between two options, each with 4 kinds of information (ie location, price, years, number of employees), where each kind of information has 5 possible values (so 5 different locations, and so on).
I used the randomizer in survey flow and embedded data to create a table of options with a randomly displayed location/price/etc, but I can't figure out how to also randomize the rows so that the information could be presented in different orders as well. And example of what I'm hoping to produce is below, where one respondent might see the rows ordered the first way, and another respondent might see it the second way.
Any suggestions on how to code this up? I'm also new to javascript but could try implementing a solution using JS as well.
Thank you in advance!
Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 2.38.31 PM.png

6 replies

Badge +30

Hi marthom Have you considered using the statement randomizer within the question?
image.png

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/43964#Comment_43964Anurag, choice randomization won't help here since it is a table that is probably inserted through a text/ graphic field.
I am looking into randomizing horizontally across columns. The only solution I can think of is creating an embedding a data field "row" that has the number of rows as distinct attributes. You could feed it into a randomizer to display it in the exact number of rows.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hey marthom

You can make multiple table and put all HTML code into an embadded data variable.
image.png

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/55102#Comment_55102Thank you. That is exactly what I had suggested. It works perfectly if one is not concerned about mutual exclusion.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

JVDS

I did't checked that rows also needed to be randomize. I missed that part :P
But how about we put complete table into ED and randomize it ;)

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi JVDS
Here is a QSF file that can help you. I have added few combination in randomizer. you can add more tables as per your need.

Untitled_project.qsf

Leave a Reply