Selecting the same region on a heat map question multiple times | XM Community
Question

Selecting the same region on a heat map question multiple times

• 7 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone,
I'm using heat map questions in my survey with specific regions defined in each image. The output file shows the x y coordinates for each click the participants made and a list of all the regions which were clicked. However, the regions only appear once, if a participant clicked on a region twice there is no way of knowing this from the output file without either looking at the coordinates, or going back to their individual response on qualtrics.
Does anyone know of any solutions which would enable me to see if regions were selected more than once, or even to see which region each individual click was in?
I'd assume this is something that can be done with java but I have very little coding experience.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

So, help me understand this a little more. 🙂
Is each question set up to look for one location or are you saying "Click every spot you saw the dog" type thing?

The questions are quite exploratory. Theres an image of a road scene and people are asking to click on 6 locations they would look at, but if they can't think of 6, they can click the same region twice.
We needed the number of clicks to be the same across all conditions for analysis, but understood that some people might not think of 6 locations so allowed them to select the same location twice.
So people might see the picture of the road and click on a particular car twice, but that is just one region. But I'm looking for a way of seeing whether someone clicked on a particular region twice without having to look at their individual responses.

Leave a Reply