Count of Customers instead of Response | XM Community
Question

Count of Customers instead of Response

• 1 November 2023
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi,

I have a simple requirement in CX dashboard to show a count of customers who participated in survey. 

When we choose Count Metric, it shows the Response count whereas I need to consider each account only once. It doesnt let us select COUNT AT CUSTOMER level in metric.

For example, say below is the response count of each customer:

Cust1 - 5

Cust2 - 10

Cust3 - 5

I want to show the value 3 instead of 20 in my dashboard. 

How can we do it ? 

In my case Customer is an embedded field.

Thanks in advance.

14 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +37

Hi @Neha Tank,

I can’t see any option to calculate total count based on an embedded data in the dashboard, even with custom metrics or different types of widgets.

I think your solution will need some modification directly in your survey or using a workaround with a workflow.

Can you give us more information about your use case ?

Where does your data come from ?
Do you have any list of customer you input in the embedded data ?

Do you expect a range of values ?

Do you need this count to be responsive to filters in your dashboard ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Are you saying that customers are able to respond to the same survey more than once?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@ash12 No, this question is specific for B2B business, where there are muliple respondents for each business account. “Customers” are organizations. So it would indeed be helpful to understand the number of unique organizations that responded.

Userlevel 6
Badge +37

One more question to help us figuring out your setup : do you import your B2B contacts from Salesforce integration ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi,

It is a B2B scenario.

One Account (Customer organization) can have multiple people (which we call as customer contacts) responding to the survey. So I have the list of all customer contacts maintained in directory.

Let us say one Account has 10 customer contacts. 

We would like to have a status report where we need to mention how many accounts responded to survey. So in this example, I would like to show the count as 1 and not 10. For me, 10 is response count, where as 1 is distinct count of Account / Customer organization.

We do not have Sales force integration for contacts yet.

In Qualtrics dashboard, any metric with COUNT doesn’t have any reference Dimension as we can usually see in any reporting tool. 

Hope it clarifies.

Badge +1

I have the same need.

I want to be able to build a view by account and not by respondant.

This is B2B, a company is a client, respondants are employees of that company.

Neha is giving one example.

To give an SQL analogy, I need a “group by company” way of calculation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Neha Tank @BenoitO There’s no built-in but you can still make a work around.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@dxconnamguyen, please do suggest the workardound.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Neha Tank @BenoitO There’s no built-in but you can still make a work around.

Can you please guide with the workaround. 

thanks in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Neha Tank It’s a bit complex and involve a lot of customization
You already have “CustomerName” in an embedded field so you need a field “NewCustomer” to act as a flag and “ResponedCustomers” act as a names holder.
- With each response you should set a condition that check if ResponedCustomers contain CustomerName and update NewCustomer flag if is doesn’t.
- ResponedCustomers need to be pull from a dummy contact list and update via JS and XM Directory workflow if satisfied the above condition.
- So when you Count, apply a NewCustomer filter and you will the the number of Customer.

Userlevel 6
Badge +37

This workaround will give the right numbers only if you don’t filter in the dashboard.

Any filter, like a date range, could potentially mask the first response for one of your customer and decrease the counter event if another response from the same customer is still in the filtered results.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This workaround will give the right numbers only if you don’t filter in the dashboard.

Any filter, like a date range, could potentially mask the first response for one of your customer and decrease the counter event if another response from the same customer is still in the filtered results.

@ElieD  She can overwrite the dashboard filter with widget filter

Userlevel 6
Badge +37

Yes she can.

But she can’t know the number of customer for any filtered data. That’s my point.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Thanks for the inputs. I was thinking what if we have an embedded field with hard coded value 1.

Then we use that field in our metric as AVG and give the corresponding field for GROUP BY. Will it work ? 

For example, there are 3 responses against an Account. So If I have AVG at ACCOUNT LEVEL, then it would be (1+1+1/3) = 1. I have not tried it yet but do you think it would work ? Then this field can be used to derive count for any field right ?

Leave a Reply