Recoding values to a complete dataset: from 1-11 to 0-10 scale in Satisfaction questions | XM Community

Recoding values to a complete dataset: from 1-11 to 0-10 scale in Satisfaction questions

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Qualtrics Community, 

I would like to discuss what would be the best approach to change from a 1-11 to a 0-10 scale in some questions. It is relevant for us as we want to connect the Qualtrics dataset with our DataWarehouse and these 1-11 scale can be a source of problems for the future when connecting with other internal sources, metrics calculation, etc.

• We have a survey project with a NPS question and different satisfaction questions.
  • Also for this project, we have imported some data from an external source limited to the NPS question and some of these satisfaction questions. The aim is getting a more consisten sample size for the whole 2022 year.
  • The NPS question uses a 0-10 scale both in the imported data and the current survey project: all interviews have a 0-10 scale for the NPS question.
  • But for the ‘satisfaction’ questions we are working with a 1-11 scale and both for the imported and the current survey.
  • For the Dashboards created we have re-code the current 1-11 scales into a 0-10 so the average can be more understandable in a 0-10 scale.

I am wondering which steps I should follow to update the entire dataset, here my proposal:

1. Pause response collection:
  2. Download all the current dataset from from ‘Data & Analysis’ tab.

3. Transform the 1-11 scale to 0-10 one for all the questions

4. Upload again the dataset already modified.

5. Disable the ‘Recode’ options implemented both for the satisfaction question in the ‘survey’ and in the dashboard. I mean, go back to a 0-10 scale in the screenshots shown above

6. Continue with the response collection: ‘Resume response collection’

I would trying to do it in a non-rush hours to avoid a lot of connections when it’s not possible answering the survey.

What do you think? Is there another way you know to implement a change like this? 

Many thanks for your help

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

In case you are using dashboard, you can only recode in dashboard and no need to recode in data set in survey.

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

You can also recode at question settings by recode values, it will also recode your data without affecting survey.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@PeeyushBansal thanks for the info. Just to confirm if I understand properly, does it mean that just by recoding values at question settings (image below), then all interviews in the Data&Analysis tab (including the imported ones) will be automatically recoded to 0-10 scale?

In this image above these satisfaction questions were recoded from 1-11. In this case, this ‘recode’ process should be updated to 0-10, correct?

As a sencond step, then I should also recode in the dashboard into a 0-10 scale, correct?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

@VictorAV , yes that is correct.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Thanks @PeeyushBansal, I’ve done the conversion in the Survey module for the Satisfaction questions, also I’ve checked that in the ‘Data & Analysis’ tab all interviews have been correctly recoded in a 0-10 scale for the satisfaction questions. I’ve downloaded a file to check (all columns highlighted in yellow have been correctly recoded to a 0-10 scale):

But here I have a question with regards to the Dashboard settings.

• First of all, in the Dashboard data menu I’ve deleted the satisfaction questions and include them again to ‘refresh’ the data.
  • If all satisfaction questions have a 0-10 points scale, why is it needed to recode in the Dashboard settings?
  • I mean, now the scale for all these questions have changed into a 0-10 but in the ‘dashboard’ settings menu it seems that this recode is not visible.
  • For instance for the J3_1 question, already recoded to 0-10, then in the Dashboard menu I see this below:
  • As you can see, in the ‘Source’ column remains the 1-11 scale, why is it happening? Now the original source has change to 0-10 so I don’t know why here the 1-11 remains with the old one.

Thanks for your feedback. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

values will be 0-10, sometimes labels does not get reflected in dashboard.

But if you delete existing question in dashboard and add same question again it should show new labels.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Thanks @PeeyushBansal, yes, I’ve done the process you mention but the ‘source’ column remains as 1-11: 

Is it something that could take some time or similar? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

Have you added question again, if it appears like this in settings, it wont be a problem you can change labels in widget.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Have you added question again, if it appears like this in settings, it wont be a problem you can change labels in widget.

But do I need to use the column ‘Recode’? I mean, if the question has been already change into a 0-10 scale:

• The column ‘Source’ is not showing the correct values?
  • Then there the column ‘Recode’ needs to be changed or not? Does it remain as in the screenshot?

It’s confusing. Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

With the setup shown above this is what I can see in the dashboard (counting interviews):

Also it matches exactly (just some discrepancies due to ‘preview’ interviews I’ve just completed right now) with the data extracted from the ‘Data&Analysis’ tab:

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@PeeyushBansal sorry to bother you, maybe it has more sense after included more details for the variable naming:

If I check the ‘dashboard’ settings:

• Green form 1 to 11. They correspond to the number of options given to answer, in our case we have 11 options, from 0 to 10.
  • Blue. Variable name.
  • Column ‘Recode’ - Codes used in ‘Data & Analysis’ tab and also uses for calculate metrics such as an average.

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

yes you can recode by More options, Manage labels.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Thanks for your replies and patience! 

Leave a Reply