Generating survey questions from CSV data | XM Community
Skip to main content
Question

Generating survey questions from CSV data

• 9 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Does anyone have any experience with generating a .qsf file (or otherwise automatically creating questions for a project) from csv data?

I have a project which requires a survey with questions of the same exact template, differing only in one word. Any time I upload a .qsf file generated with custom python code I reliably get a data validation error, having made sure there are no special characters and that the code is valid JSON. 

Of course the problem lies in the custom code generation (as importing, say, a .qsf file I just exported from the online tool works). My question is, how do folks normally go about generating monotonous questions from data?

For extra information, the nature of the project is collecting data on human ratings of gender association for a set of words (in the csv). There are a couple of hundred, so I plan on creating subsets, and then generating a survey from those subsets.

I am not married to a custom solution at all; an API call solution would be great too.

Thanks!

3 replies

Badge +1

Hi, 

I don’t have a solution, sorry, but working on a similar kind of problem. Did you ever figure this one out? 

Badge +1

Check out this project: https://github.com/matomatical/qualtrics. Really good for building surveys

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I personally don’t think that creating multiple surveys, with minor differences, for the same project is the right approach. You should ideally be creating one survey and then using the internal tools - such as loop and merge,  branch logic, display logic etc - (or js) for the conditions.  

In the case described by @grflint if its just a word that needs changing, probably the best way to go about it would be randomly select the word and then use piped text to replace it the question.

Leave a Reply