choosing only one answer in side by side surveys | XM Community
Question

choosing only one answer in side by side surveys

• 21 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone,
I'm making a survey using a side-by-side question format. In this survey, participants can only choose one option in one of the two columns we set up. Here is a screenshot:
Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 2.12.19 PM.pngSo if the participant chooses one of the two choices in the "NO UNMET NEED" column, they CANNOT choose any option in the "NEED IS CURRENTLY UNMET" column and vice versa. We explored using a matrix survey as well but we found that side-by-side surveys reassembled our hard-copy surveys the most and we wish to keep it that way. I was wondering how I can prevent participants from answering both columns and only limit them to one and how something like validation can help me.
Thank you in advance!

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Just use multi-punch question type instead of single punch and then use exclusive on scales so that you can either select one of them.

Can you elaborate on that? I am currently using a side-by-side question format (and would prefer to keep it that way) but how would I set up exclusive on scales?
Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Firstly select Multiple Answer from column options in scale and then add a JS for each loop to uncheck if the next one is checked.

Leave a Reply