Custom validation error message over specific cell | XM Community
Question

Custom validation error message over specific cell

Badge +1

Hello! I’m an undergraduate research fellow and building a survey for my professor’s research project.

To gain context for this question, in an attempt to gain more accurate answers for more stigmatized questions, for a page of the survey, respondents will point to “yes” or “no” on a page of numbers and the researcher will write down the number in the cell (and the point is that they won’t know if it is “yes” or “no”). However, in a pilot version of this survey (that was done on paper), there were a lot of errors in interviewers mixing up numbers (writing down a 7 as a 1, for example) and the Qualtrics survey is supposed to eliminate these errors. Therefore, I’ve set a custom validation for all of the questions on the page to only allow values that match a certain regex of numbers. This part works — however, I would like for when the interviewer attempts to go to the next page, the error message to be displayed on the exact cell where the incorrect value is written in instead of above the question, so that the interviewer does not have to waste time figuring out which of the four cells were incorrect and ask each question again (there are about 100 3 digit numbers that are in the regex). Is this possible? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on how to more efficiently build this page so that it is possible to spot a number that isn’t in the regex easier? (I originally had all of these questions as rows of one side-by-side question, but split each of the rows up into separate questions because of this same issue). 

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hi @natailec

In Qualtrics, error messages appear above questions, not where mistakes are made. Consider using ‘Force Response’ to ensure valid answers before proceeding or ‘Request Response’ for a pop-up alerting invalid entries. Both can be customized to guide respondents on correct input.

Let me know if this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @natailec 
In Qualtrics, it's not directly possible to display an error message next to a specific cell where an incorrect value is entered.

Mabey the following opties are a idea for you?

1. Color Coding: You can use conditional formatting to highlight cells with incorrect values in a different color. This way, interviewers can quickly spot which cells need correction.

2. Error Summary: Instead of displaying error messages next to each cell, you can provide a summary of errors at the end of the page. This summary could list the question numbers or cells that contain incorrect values, allowing interviewers to easily locate and correct them.

3. Error Highlighting: When an interviewer attempts to proceed to the next page with incorrect values, you can use JavaScript to highlight the specific cells containing errors. While this requires some programming knowledge, it can provide a more intuitive way for interviewers to identify and correct errors.

4. Single Question Format: If possible, try to keep related questions together in a single question format. This reduces the chances of interviewers mixing up numbers and makes it easier to spot errors.

5. Training: Provide thorough training to interviewers on how to spot and correct errors efficiently. Emphasize the importance of accuracy and provide guidelines for error correction procedures.

Badge +1

Hi @natailec 
In Qualtrics, it's not directly possible to display an error message next to a specific cell where an incorrect value is entered.

Mabey the following opties are a idea for you?

1. Color Coding: You can use conditional formatting to highlight cells with incorrect values in a different color. This way, interviewers can quickly spot which cells need correction.

2. Error Summary: Instead of displaying error messages next to each cell, you can provide a summary of errors at the end of the page. This summary could list the question numbers or cells that contain incorrect values, allowing interviewers to easily locate and correct them.

3. Error Highlighting: When an interviewer attempts to proceed to the next page with incorrect values, you can use JavaScript to highlight the specific cells containing errors. While this requires some programming knowledge, it can provide a more intuitive way for interviewers to identify and correct errors.

4. Single Question Format: If possible, try to keep related questions together in a single question format. This reduces the chances of interviewers mixing up numbers and makes it easier to spot errors.

5. Training: Provide thorough training to interviewers on how to spot and correct errors efficiently. Emphasize the importance of accuracy and provide guidelines for error correction procedures.

@RickB Thank you so much for the helpful reply. For #1, conditional formatting, would this require JavaScript or is it a built-in Qualtrics feature? 

Badge +1

Hi @natailec

In Qualtrics, error messages appear above questions, not where mistakes are made. Consider using ‘Force Response’ to ensure valid answers before proceeding or ‘Request Response’ for a pop-up alerting invalid entries. Both can be customized to guide respondents on correct input.

Let me know if this helps.

Hi @Sachin Nandikol

Thank you so much for the helpful reply. Would I be able to create a validation for “force response” so it forces a response that fits within my regex? Or will it only alert invalid entries for missing responses. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hello @natailec,
Based on what I know, I recommend trying ‘Custom Validation’ with a regular expression to enforce specific response formats from respondents. This will make sure that respondents enter content as per your requirements or validate responses based on customized logic.

Please note that this validation prompts respondents to correct their input if it doesn't match the regex pattern before continuing with the survey.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@natailec 
Conditional formatting is a built-in feature in Qualtrics that allows you to apply different styles (such as font color, background color, etc.) to survey elements based on certain conditions. It doesn't require JavaScript for basic usage.

Badge +1

@RickB Thank you so much. I’m having trouble finding where exactly I can find this feature for the side-by-side question type. Is it under “conditional formatting” or by another name? 

Leave a Reply