How to record the link through which respondents enter survey? | XM Community
Solved

How to record the link through which respondents enter survey?

• 25 February 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge

I'm running a survey and I'm looking to record or save the link/URL through which respondents enter using embedded data. I checked here but when I try adding embedded data in the survey flow, I can't find the options (current page URL, time spent on site, total visited page count) that seem to be available for actions.

icon

Best answer by Aanurag_QC 28 February 2022, 06:42

View original

9 replies

Badge +30

Hi madamimadam ,
You can refer to the below link to get a better idea about how you can set current page URL, time spent on site, total visited page count as embedded data.

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/website-app-feedback/intercepts-tab/edit-intercept-section/action-set-logic/browsing-session-conditions/#SiteHistory

Badge

That's not really what I was looking for since I'm not using actions. Is it possible to record the URL in a survey flow that doesn't use actions? If I'm not mistaken, actions are just for website feedback surveys.

I have a survey that I distribute with an anonymous link. Any chance to record the website in that case?

Badge +30

Hello madamimadam In the case where you are using the anonymous link, you can use Javascript in one of your survey questions which will store the URL in embedded data:

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()
{
var a = window.location.href;

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("URL", a );

});

Badge

Excellent, thank you! That sounds like it would solve my problem.
If I want to record the website through which somebody entered the survey, I would place this on the first page of the survey, correct?

Badge +30

On the first page would be recommended, as if a person leaves the survey in between, at least we will be able to capture some data using partial response

Badge

Wonderful, thanks!

Badge

Hi there, a year on, I just implemented this in my survey (thank you!) - can you tell me how I would see a report of the referring URLs? 

Thanks, 

Thom.

Badge

Hey @TCB888 this video goes over how you can go about doing the same thing without any of the coding elements!

It premiers at 9AM MST Jan 12th 2024 and I believe it’s exactly what you’re looking for!

Badge

Ah thank you will take a look. 

I managed to figure out a way using embedded data from the query string, but will look at this too.

Leave a Reply