Is there a function to identify the maximum value entered in a numeric list question? | XM Community
Solved

Is there a function to identify the maximum value entered in a numeric list question?

• 9 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I have a numeric list question with 10 options and the sum of the total should equal 100%. I want to find the maximum value entered in this list. Is there a math function to identify that? If not, is there an alternative method to do so?

icon

Best answer by AdamK12 9 August 2021, 17:43

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56

Sumeshsdn That's a very interesting question: my initial reaction would be that you could use the web data connector to move your data into Tableau or another tool and use the functions there to return the maximum value, but I'm not sure you can do it in StatsIQ. Any other suggestions from the community?

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

AdamK12 thanks for your suggestion. Yes, that could definitely be done. But, I need to identify the maximum value to pipe that option in follow-up questions. Therefore, looking for a solution within Qualtrics programming capability.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56

Sumeshsdn I figured it out! I expect that your specific approach might vary depending on what type of followup question you want to ask, but the principle would be the same:
First, set up your initial constant sum question. In this case, we're asking the respondent how they allocate their attention/fandom to various team sports (Notice that the validation is set to total to 100):
How to pipe highest value answer1.pngNext, set up your followup question to pipe the highest value answer into the question. (Do this by clicking on the text and choosing "Piped Text" and selecting the text that you would like to appear in the followup question.) In this case I've chosen a text question but I suspect that it would work if you want to pipe it in as an answer choice to a different type of question.
How to pipe highest value answer 1.pngThe important thing is to insert a page break between both questions: this will enable the system to recognize the highest-value answer and then insert the right text.
I hope this helps! Thanks for clarifying-we both learned something new today!

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Thanks for helping out AdamK12 ! That worked perfectly well and yes, something new to learn :-)

Badge

/ChoiceGroup/ChoiceWithHighestValue seems not working for me? do I need to activate anything for the function?

Leave a Reply