Logic based on the most common answer | XM Community
Question

Logic based on the most common answer

• 23 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

We’re doing a sort of personality test where we have 12 questions and each question has four single pick answers. Let’s call them A, B, C and D. The answers vary depending on the question asked, but each A question is part of the group A of answers. 

I then need to create logic based on the most common answer they selected after answering all 12 questions. So let’s say that B was the most picked answer they will jump to Group B in the survey flow (where it might be more questions or a custom end message). 

I tried looking into scoring but I think that is not a good fit for this case. Any suggestion on how to do this? Bonus if it also works with randomizing the answers so they don’t see a pattern when answering. 

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi @Johan ,

You can implement "Display Logic" based on participant responses by organizing separate blocks for each outcome group (A, B, C, D). Within each block, set the display logic to show it only if the majority of responses fall within that group.

For example:

• Group A: Display this block if "A" was the most frequently selected option in the 12 questions.
  • Group B: Display this block if "B" received the most frequent selections among the 12 questions.
  • Similarly, for Groups C and D.

Thank you!

Badge +1

Hi @Nanditha MM 

Thank you for your answer. I was looking into doing that, but I can’t find that option in Display Logic. I can only select a specific question and the answer, not if “A was the most frequent answer in Block 1” or something similar. Can you please advice in more detail how the actual logic would be setup? And should this be done in the survey builder or the survey flow?

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hello @Johan,

Below setup might help you:

You can use Embedded Data and Branch Logic in the Survey Flow. Here's how you can do it:

1. Create an Embedded Data field for each answer group (A, B, C, D) at the start of the Survey Flow. Set their initial values to 0.

2. After each question, add a new branch for each answer choice. In each branch, increment the corresponding Embedded Data field by 1 if that answer choice is selected.

3. After all the questions, add branches to check which Embedded Data field has the highest value. This will determine the most commonly selected answer group.

4. Based on the most common answer group, direct respondents to the corresponding group in the Survey Flow using Branch Logic.

This setup will allow you to track the most commonly selected answer group and direct respondents to different parts of the survey based on their responses.

Let me know if this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @Johan ,

Sachin’s method considers answer choice being selected as a condition. Hence, randomization of answer choice will still work.

You can add the randomization by selecting choice randomization in Question behavior and selecting which type of randomization you want it to be.

More information can be found here: Choice Randomization (qualtrics.com)

Leave a Reply