Recoding and averaging individual responses to multiple statements collected in a slider question type | XM Community
Question

Recoding and averaging individual responses to multiple statements collected in a slider question type

• 30 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I have used the slider question type to deliver the Personal Wellbeing Index, which is comprised of 7 statements with answer options ranging from 0-10 (see below for visual of the question). For analysis the response options need to be recoded on a scale of 0-100 (e.g. 1=10, 2=20...10=100). Then I need to create an average of each person’s responses across the 7 statements. Could someone please advise me if/how I can:

• Recode the values for analysis (as described above)
  • Create an average value for each individual can be used in Results-Reports

Thank you!

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

@NatalieG ,

For Recoding you can set the value in scale points as shown in below

To create an Average Value

To create an average value for each individual, you can use the Stats iQ tool in Qualtrics. Here's how:

1. Navigate to the Data & Analysis tab and click on Stats iQ.
  2. In the Stats iQ interface, click on Create or Clean Variable.
  3. In the new window, select Create Formula.
  4. In the formula editor, you can create an average of the recoded values of the 7 statements. The formula would look something like this: (Q1 + Q2 + Q3 + Q4 + Q5 + Q6 + Q7) / 7, where Q1 through Q7 are the recoded values of the 7 statements.
  5. Click Save.

Please note that the changes you make to the recode values will be immediately reflected in your raw dataset and any statistics in the Data & Analysis tab.

Reference page: Recode ValuesStats iQ Basic Overview

Badge +1

Thank you @Nikeeta :)

Will definitely give the statsIQ solution a go.

I did think about that recoding solution, the trouble is that the Personal Wellbeing Index is a validated tools that needs to be administered in a certain way and for some mad reason it has to be administered on a 1-10 scale, but calculated on a 0-100 scale. Do you know of any other way to recode the values in the back-end? Possibly I chose the wrong question type for my analysis needs.

Thanks again! 

Badge +1

@NatalieG ,

For Recoding you can set the value in scale points as shown in below

To create an Average Value

To create an average value for each individual, you can use the Stats iQ tool in Qualtrics. Here's how:

1. Navigate to the Data & Analysis tab and click on Stats iQ.
  2. In the Stats iQ interface, click on Create or Clean Variable.
  3. In the new window, select Create Formula.
  4. In the formula editor, you can create an average of the recoded values of the 7 statements. The formula would look something like this: (Q1 + Q2 + Q3 + Q4 + Q5 + Q6 + Q7) / 7, where Q1 through Q7 are the recoded values of the 7 statements.
  5. Click Save.

Please note that the changes you make to the recode values will be immediately reflected in your raw dataset and any statistics in the Data & Analysis tab.

Reference page: Recode ValuesStats iQ Basic Overview

Hi again @Nikeeta, I created the new variable successfully, but I can’t see it in my results or reports - any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Leave a Reply