redirecting from a Qualtrics survey to another web site and back to the Qualtrics survey | XM Community
Question

redirecting from a Qualtrics survey to another web site and back to the Qualtrics survey

• 17 July 2022
  • 9 replies

Hi all,
I'm wondering if it is possible to redirect someone from a Qualtrics survey to another web site (in this case, so they can complete a task on that web site that would not be easy to incorporate into the survey) and for them to then be redirected from that web site back to the same survey. (I would also need to send an ID code from Qualtrics to the other web site, but that's a separate issue.) Any information would be helpful - thank you in advance.
Chris Dickinson

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

You will need to add js in a question to jump it to another website and at website you will need to set a redirect url to this one and then in the main survey skip till the question in which js is added and complete it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Hello dickinsonca
I believe the custom code could be a route to take here as mentioned by grahulp5. On other thoughts what if you show the survey on the website itself by using website feedback project. In this way they can toggle between website and survey at the same time.
Hope this workaround helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

dickinsonca ,
If you turn on save and continue you can redirect to another website with Q_URL (must be url encoded first) as a parameter. Then the other website can use that parameter to redirect back to the same page in the Qualtrics survey.

Badge +4

Hey @TomG 

Could you provide the javascript for it? To redirect to another URL when clicking the “next button”, then redirecting back to Qualtrics after the 2nd survey to the next page of the 1st survey? I would appreciate it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

Yes, you can do this through JS. If you are running partial survey in different survey tool so follow few steps while applying JS for redirect.

1) enable save and continue setup.

2) apply redirect JS on text/graphic Question type variable and add one loading GIF there. Keep this text/graphic question under a switch condition redirect=1.

3) hide the next button of redirect page and trigger the link through js. Pass the required parameter like respondent ID and other information with the link and also pass the redirect=1 with the link.

4) enable save and continue on another connected survey programming tool as well where you will create 2nd survey

5) when you will return back from another tool, change the redirect value as redirect=2.

Badge

dickinsonca ,
If you turn on save and continue you can redirect to another website with Q_URL (must be url encoded first) as a parameter. Then the other website can use that parameter to redirect back to the same page in the Qualtrics survey.

hi @TomG Thanks for the information, May I ask could you please help with a little more? 

I’d like to redirecting from a Qualtrics survey to another web site and back to the Qualtrics survey too.

currently i setup an End of Survey element with a redirect to another platform, attached some variable and Q_URL variable with the another platform survey link.

and when jumping back i set url = Q_URL in another platform.

im using anonymous survey link with Allow respondents to finish later on.

But i still jump back to the beginning of the qualtrics survey, not where i leave it.

Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 6
Badge +39

Your redirect cannot be in an EOS element, it will terminate your original session. It should be in a question.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Is there a way for this requirement without the JS 

Badge +2

The simplest option might be to add the link to the external site in a Text/Graphic question, making sure to set target=_blank so it does not open in the existing tab/window. They complete tasks on that site, then go back to the survey that is sitting open on the page that contained the link and continue on with the survey.

Another possible option if you want to ensure respondents are going to the external site (and not just skipping it): I haven’t tried this, but something like the following process might work using Survey Flow Branching and End of Survey items.

Set an initial embedded data item, something like Part1Complete = 0.

Set your survey up with everything you want completed before sending the user to the external site in one block. Use conditional logic to only display this block if Part1Complete = 0.

Add an End of Survey element in the Survey Flow after the Part1 block that redirects to the external site. Make sure it’s nested such that it’s only hit if Part1Complete = 0.

Set everything you want completed after they are finished on the external site in a subsequent block (Part2). Use conditional logic to only display this block if Part1Complete = 1.

Add a link on the external site that uses the Survey retake link process with a query string manually setting the embedded data item Part1Complete = 1. Note, this does submit the survey, but will be overwritten with the retake yet retaining previously entered responses - make sure to use the steps to Retake Response (not Retake as New Response - this will add an additional response instead of overwriting).

In theory (again, I have not tested this), when they come back for the retake, they will pick up on the Part2 block that is now visible due to the embedded data item set to 1 and will skip over the Part1 block for the same reason.

In general, it would flow like this in the Survey Flow:

Set Embedded Data block

Branch block checking Embedded data item value = 0

------- Part1 Block under Branch block

------- End of Survey element with redirect

:::::: External site stuff - contains link back to Qualtrics survey using the retake link and manually setting the Embedded data value = 1 :::::::

Branch block (checking Embedded data item value = 1

------- Part2 Block under Branch block

------- (Optional End of Survey if you want something other than the default end.)

If someone tries this, I would like to know if it worked for you.

Leave a Reply