Sending value embedded data as query parameter via webservice | XM Community
Question

Sending value embedded data as query parameter via webservice

• 29 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi, 

I am working on a survey in which I have a webservice (API) that requires for each user to get a unique ID for their response. 

I tried creating an embedded data = random number and setting the embedded data as the query parameter, but it doesn’t work. The issue is that I get the full text of the embedded data ($e://Field/random_id) instead of the expected value (random number from 0 to 1000). See the image below:

If I do the random number directly in the query parameter, like the image below, it works. However, I need the first solution to work because I need to keep track of the respondent random number for a second wave of the survey. Any idea how to fix this?

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +52

@michael_florez_voce 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @venturat,

Have you tried changing the variable type for your random_id field from Options?

Qualtrics sets all embedded data fields as Text by default, so maybe if you change it to Number Set or just Number, the web service will take the value as needed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +31

If it doesn’t need to be a number, why not use the Response ID that is generated for each response?

Badge

The only solution I have found here is to set the piped text as embedded data in an earlier part of the flow, and then get that embedded data as piped text in the web service. No clue why this works.

For clarity here is what that looks like

Leave a Reply