How to create five variables which represent pairs of two items each... without javascript? | XM Community
Skip to main content

So apparently my account doesn't support Javascript, because I don't see the option to add javascript when I am in the Survey tab and click on the settings for a question.
What I'm trying to do on a conceptual level:
A user selects a bunch of items they use from a list. They create ranked pairs from those items, and then answer questions about those ranked pairs.

This is apparently harder to do in Qualtrix than it looks!
What I've tried:
User selects a bunch of items from a list, and selected answers are carried forward to the next question.
ex. oranges, apples, bananas, kiwi, kumquat
There they create groups of two items each. I had been using Drag and Drop... but when I use piped text, I can only display the contents of all selected choices (${q://QID##/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices} when what I want to do is to have a variable to display the items in group1 and a variable to display the items in group 2 (it'd be even better if I could individually reference Items in a particular group (item 1 in Group1, Item2 in Group2)
var1 = oranges + apples
var2 = kiwi + kumquat
then I was going to use a loop and merge to have the user answer questions about each pair.
Since apparently I can't use Drag and Drop to do what I want without Javascript, I need another approach to allow the user to quickly create item pairs and then answer questions about them. Help?

doberman You can use the question type Matrix Table for this.

• Statements # is the number of items

• Scale Points = 2 (for the two groups)

• Matrix Type = Likert

• Answers = "Drag and Drop"

• Columns = 0

• Options uncheck

• Validation Options uncheck

• Validation Type = Custom Validation, where Scale Point 1 (Count) Is Equal to 2 AND Scale Point 2 (Count) Is Equal to 2

You can then use piped text to show Selected Choices for the Scale Points.
image.pngimage.pngimage.pngYou still have a sticking point to parse out the options, but at least you can get to them as a pair like you asked for.

bstrahin Thank you, this worked!
I did end up being able to upgrade my account to use Javascript, but since I'm not much of a coder, this was faster.
I ended up using two groups, one for each of the two tools (so that I could easily reference them individually in piped text) - so a user is putting the first tool in the first group, the second in the second one.
My followup question is - I ask a series of standard questions after each pair, and that seems like an ideal case for using Loop & Merge - but Loop & Merge seems to assume looping through a single field. So for purposes of looping, I need to create a variable which I think I can do via embedded data... and then populate that variable with the contents of both groups - so Var1 = 'tool1 and tool2'
How would I do that?

doberman you would do this in Survey Flow. You will need to put your picking of the tools in a different block from the loop and merge. That way your survey flow can go from identifying the groups, to assigning them to embedded data field, to the embedded data field being set and insertable into loop and merge.

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/standard-elements/embedded-data/

Leave a Reply