How to use Table of Contents with force response? | XM Community
Solved

How to use Table of Contents with force response?

• 2 October 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38
We are using Qualtrics as an tool to collect applications at my my university. There are several sections of information that need filled out, but we predict some questions will make people stumble, so they might want to bounce around the form. It was my understanding that I could use the Table of Contents feature to achieve this, so I broke down my application into four sections and all of the questions in the section are force response.

But when I go to use the menu or Table of Contents button to navigate away from the page that I am on, I get stuck with messages to answer the question. Does anyone have a work around for this? I am hesitant to use request response because we really do need them to fill out all of the fields.

!
icon

Best answer by Akdashboard 2 October 2019, 18:17

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
This looks tricky! If it were me and I was seeing this behavior, I would probably try to build something with branch logic to check at the end if it was complete and then leave the answers not required.

I'm envisioning something like if each answer in a section is not blank, then set embedded data for the block as complete, else set embedded data as incomplete. Then if all blocks complete, go to end survey block. If not, go back to block with incomplete answer via branching.

It's not ideal but I think it will work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
I have had to do this in the past, the problem with what @JenCX suggests is that you can't set embedded data in a ToC block (bummer, trust me).

What I have done is create a mandatory SUBMIT button (in the form of a MC question) at the end of the last block that has display logic that only shows if all needed pieces are answered. Otherwise I have another descriptive question show up that says "you must complete XYZ to finish". I also use JavaScript in that 2nd question to hide the next button to keep them from submitting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
> @Akdashboard said:
> I have had to do this in the past, the problem with what @JenCX suggests is that you can't set embedded data in a ToC block (bummer, trust me).

Ack, seriously? That's nuts. Thanks for pointing that out and letting me know.

Edited to add: That would be a great Product Idea. I was going to submit it but I'm not sure on the particulars. I'll definitely vote for it, though!
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@Akdashboard thank you for the advice. It is cumbersome but luckily my form is rather small so this worked like a charm.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@bstrahin - Lucky your's is pretty short. I am now creating a survey with 17 reference survey blocks (mainly survey flow logic) and branching logic for EACH question and choice of a fairly long form because I can't do embedded data setting in ToC elements and my customer wants the ability to jump back and forth.

All-in-all I am at around 1800 manually programmed embedded data. This form/survey I am creating is a BEAST that really pushes Qualtrics to the limit.
Badge
> @Akdashboard said:
> I have had to do this in the past, the problem with what @JenCX suggests is that you can't set embedded data in a ToC block (bummer, trust me).
>
> What I have done is create a mandatory SUBMIT button (in the form of a MC question) at the end of the last block that has display logic that only shows if all needed pieces are answered. Otherwise I have another descriptive question show up that says "you must complete XYZ to finish". I also use JavaScript in that 2nd question to hide the next button to keep them from submitting.

Hello! I came across this thread researching this very question. If I understand it correctly, did you use the Qualtrics display logic or did you write your own code for that? I ask because it seems like Qualtrics doesn't have a built-in way to check whether a multiple-choice question has been answered (just whether option A, B or C has been selected).

Thanks for any insight you could provide!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
> @ZeinaM said:
> > @Akdashboard said:
> > I have had to do this in the past, the problem with what @JenCX suggests is that you can't set embedded data in a ToC block (bummer, trust me).
> >
> > What I have done is create a mandatory SUBMIT button (in the form of a MC question) at the end of the last block that has display logic that only shows if all needed pieces are answered. Otherwise I have another descriptive question show up that says "you must complete XYZ to finish". I also use JavaScript in that 2nd question to hide the next button to keep them from submitting.
>
> Hello! I came across this thread researching this very question. If I understand it correctly, did you use the Qualtrics display logic or did you write your own code for that? I ask because it seems like Qualtrics doesn't have a built-in way to check whether a multiple-choice question has been answered (just whether option A, B or C has been selected).
>
> Thanks for any insight you could provide!

I used the Qualtrics display logic, just like you mentioned (if for Q1, A or B or C is selected, etc.).

Leave a Reply