Is there any way to log participant's response time? | XM Community
Question

Is there any way to log participant's response time?

• 2 February 2020
  • 3 replies

I am currently running an online experiment and participants are technically asked to finish the study in one go without any break. I also disabled the "save and continue" within qualtrics, to ensure that paricipants cannot return later as this would bias the results (I should be on the safe side then, right? The "responses in progress" make me anxious somehow..
However, due to the nature of the experiment. I will need to deal with dropouts, i.e. subjects that do not finish the study completely/correctly.
In order to decrease drop-outs, I am wondering if there is any way to "log" the time when participants stopped taking the survey? So that I could see when a participant stopped exactly.

Thank you.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
You can't log exactly when they stopped, but you can log the last time they clicked the next button. Add an embedded data variable lastNext to the survey flow. Add a addOnPageSubmit function to the survey header that saves the current date/time to the lastNext variable.
Badge +5
You could do a variant of what Tom suggested but, instead of updating the timer when Next is clicked, set a timer and update it every, say, 1 minute. When the user navigates away from the page, the updates will stop, so the last time recorded will be correct within 1 minute.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @James said:
> You could do a variant of what Tom suggested but, instead of updating the timer when Next is clicked, set a timer and update it every, say, 1 minute. When the user navigates away from the page, the updates will stop, so the last time recorded will be correct within 1 minute.

Even if you update an embedded variable value it will not be saved to the response data until the browser communicates with the server (i.e., the Next button is clicked). So, what you suggest wouldn't work.

Leave a Reply