Work:New.0 -- Today’s employees are looking for a workplace that works for them. Watch now! | XM Community

Work:New.0 -- Today’s employees are looking for a workplace that works for them. Watch now!

• 12 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Work New2.jpgThere is no shortage of data on the future of work. But beneath the numbers are distinctive and inspiring human stories. Stories that illustrate how incredibly important this moment is to all of us – in our organizations, our society, our families, our careers.
To that end, we're excited to share with you the first-ever production of human stories about the Future of Work. We call it Work: New.0 – and you can check it out HERE.
We just released Part One (12 mins) and we think the XM Community will find it really compelling. I’m curious to hear what you think after watching it!
Michael

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56

This is a fantastic piece -- my family is thinking about how to best make use of the post-COVID working environment and it's getting us thinking about where (and how) we want to live. It's well done because it lays out a lot of the tradeoffs involved in moving to a "Zoom town" -- around relationships with management, conflict with the "old" environment, and tradeoffs between working autonomy and social networks. Really, really well done and I look forward to the rest of the series.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks so much for your comment, AdamK12! It's both interesting and fascinating how quickly the work world has shifted in such a short amount of time. I think one of the positives is a point you mention -- thinking about where and how you want to live. If there is one bright spot that has come from the last few years, it's that people are thinking more clearly about the quality of life they want to have!

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

It is a really moving piece. I have noticed the impact of increasing demands for flexibility in the higher education sector and museum sector, which are both traditionally slower to respond to such demands. I am curious how the demands of the labor market impact industries that have a need for on-site workers in the long run.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

SaraO, thanks for the comment! I am also curious to see how the labor market responds to industries that have a need for on-site workers. My hope is that it will lead to a lot of human-centric innovation that will improve the lives of workers regardless of sector or industry.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56

SaraO Michael_Cooksey -- these are both really insightful comments. In addition to my role with NLM, I also teach data visualization for a fully online program, which creates some really interesting experience dynamics--especially around collaboration and even the definition of "office hours." And in my "day job," speaking for my team, they have adapted quite well to a new, more flexible, but not less accountable working environment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

AdamK12 I fully agree. It's amazing how concepts like "day job" and working hours and collaboration have shifted so dramatically in just a few years. Another interesting layer is the power dynamic between employer and employee -- many employees these days expect or even demand a flexible working environment or fully remote working environment; something that would have been an exception to the rule for many jobs and sectors in the past.
One additional layer I am curious about is how much technology will replace in-person roles in the future. A dental hygienist was asking me recently if she thinks in-person roles like hers would eventually be replaced with robots? Or even become mobile/in-home services? Also, 3D printed buildings and homes are making big strides as well. Curious to know if we would have all of this innovation and change without the pandemic.

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

I think COVID forced many organizations to adapt quickly and adopt technology much faster than they might have previously. It was very reactive and not very strategic. Instead of reverting back or sticking with the "good enough" status quo and the hastily implemented policies and quasi-remote programs, I hope people and organizations take the time and make the investment in a more strategic approach.

Leave a Reply