Report visualization: matrix type question with field names that are embedded data | XM Community
Question

Report visualization: matrix type question with field names that are embedded data

• 26 February 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I'm setting up a survey asking respondents to rate satisfaction with event speakers. The name of each event speaker is loaded as embedded data. Respondents rate each respondent in a matrix question. The survey will be deployed with different event speakers over time.

Any suggestions for how to set a report that summarizes responses by speaker? Setting the report by segment responses by the embedded data field "speaker name" yields a mess - because the matrix has multiple rows (one per speaker) it displays a bunch of zero responses for each row that has never held that speaker's name and doesn't integrate responses for a single speaker if they were ever entered into different fields (e.g., speaker1, speaker2, etc.).

Conceptually, what I want is to define a list of speaker names via embedded data, collect a rating on each speaker, then tie all responses associated with each speaker name to that speaker in a report. But I can't figure out a way to make Qualtrics do this! Any suggestions?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30
I'd be interested in learning of solutions for this challenge as well. I have a few surveys with a scenario like this, and we have to move the data outside of Qualtrics to stack and analyze using SAS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@NickVEIC @MatthewM I just figured out to do this, thanks to my great team and the Qualtrics Community. In Vocalize, you want to use the dashboard data tab (get there by clicking on the gear next to the dashboard name) and create a new data field. Name it "Speaker or something similar, and set is as a text value field (most likely, because it's likely only a first name and last name. Then map it to your embedded data field and save.

Then, go to the Text IQ tab and set topics for each speaker. You can then use this field to populate your dashboard. It's a little complicated but works.

At least this is how it works in Vocalize. In Stats IQ and Reports, you should be able to do something similar, but I'm less experienced with that.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Userlevel 7
Badge +30
> @AdamK12 said:
> @NickVEIC @MatthewM I just figured out to do this, thanks to my great team and the Qualtrics Community. In Vocalize, you want to use the dashboard data tab (get there by clicking on the gear next to the dashboard name) and create a new data field. Name it "Speaker or something similar, and set is as a text value field (most likely, because it's likely only a first name and last name. Then map it to your embedded data field and save.
>
> Then, go to the Text IQ tab and set topics for each speaker. You can then use this field to populate your dashboard. It's a little complicated but works.
>
> At least this is how it works in Vocalize. In Stats IQ and Reports, you should be able to do something similar, but I'm less experienced with that.
>
> Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Glad you found a solution, @AdamK12 ! And thanks for sharing the process in Vocalize.

I wasn't able to apply the solution to Reports, which is what I use, but I realize now that my survey is not set up quite the same way as @NickVEIC 's . While I also have a Matrix, the entire Matrix applies to a single person, and I use Loop & Merge to repeat the same Matrix questions to different individuals. So any solution that might exist is on a very different level.

Hope you get this to work, @NickVEIC !
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Thanks, @AdamK12 and @MatthewM. Adam, I'm glad you found a work around! Matthew, I'm also having trouble implementing this solution in Reports. I'll post if I figure something out in reports and will keep this other approach in mind if my organization starts using Vocalize.

Leave a Reply