make all URL links 'target' "New Window (_blank)" by default | XM Community
Solved

make all URL links 'target' "New Window (_blank)" by default

• 25 January 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Capture.PNGEvery time I create a new question in Reach Content Editor and insert a new URL link, the 'target' appears 'not set'. So I have to manually change it "New Window (_blank)"
How I can change Reach Content Editor settings or my Qualtrics account settings, so that target is always set to "New Window (_blank)" by default?
 Let's say my survey has 100 questions and each question has 10 URL links.
Can I search all my 1000 URL links at once to locate those links with 'target' 'not set'?
The problem with URL links which have the 'target' 'not set' is as follows. If a survey respondent clicks such a link, he permanently leaves the survey and cannot return back to the question he left, so he has to start with Question 1

icon

Best answer by ahmedA 25 January 2021, 22:19

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Have you tried using search and replace:
image.png

Userlevel 3
Badge

This is how HTML code looks for a good URL link:
https://library.wlu.ca/" target="_blank">My good link
This is how HTML code looks for a bad URL link:
My">https://library.wlu.ca/">My bad link

As you see 'target' is absent in the bad link. So, simple text sear will not help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Yes. That seems to be a problem. How about adding this to your header:

Userlevel 3
Badge

Which header? Can you please explain?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Look and Feel --> General --> Header (edit). Paste the code above in source.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

image.png

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

image.png

Userlevel 3
Badge

It works!
Would such a script slow down or otherwise negatively affect the survey running and execution?
Is it run only once or is it run every time?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It'll run on each page. It won't slowdown or adversely effect the survey. The only issue will be with links that you want to open in page, you'll now have to use JS to force them not to open in a new tab.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I'm assuming that since table of contents is just links, it may be effected, and be forced to open the links in a new tab, but I can't be certain, nor provide a workaround, as my institute doesn't subscribe to TOC.

Leave a Reply