Sending email during in-progress survey using embedded data in survey workflow | XM Community
Question

Sending email during in-progress survey using embedded data in survey workflow

• 22 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I have found 3 posts, tag below, looking for a very similar request, but none of them include details of how to execute this.

As a participant starts a survey, I will ask them to enter their email address. After this block is completed, I want to use workflow to send an email to the participants embedded email address they entered. I attempted to first use the “additional response types” and selected the “included incomplete response” suggested in method 1 below. Unfortunately, I only get the email once the survey is completed.

Goal: once the participant enters their email and submits that information. I want to send an automated email to that embedded email address, that includes 1 piece of additional embedded data from earlier in the survey to be included in the email body. I do not want this email to wait until the survey is completed, I want the email to send immediately after submitting their email. I don’t care how I have to execute this, I’m just a novice when it comes to API requests.

Method 2 only provides limited documentation of how to execute this. Method 3 directs me to the API documentation but doesn’t guide me to how to do this exactly.

It seems like this linked in method 2, might be my solution, but I’m having some difficulty in understanding what the API request is here: https://api.qualtrics.com/573e3f0a94888-create-distribution Althought this seems like it is sending a survey link and not embedded data from the survey.

• If this is the correct solution, would anyone mind providing just a little more detail as to how I use the embedded data in the survey to set this request?
  • Do I enter the script into webservices in workflow? How?\
  • Also can I test this similarly as I would with any other workflow, by just completing a survey to see if it executes? 

Thank you!!

Method 1: 

Method 2: 

Method 3: 

3 replies

Badge +1

After further inspection, the API directions for distribution doesn’t appear to provide the solution I am looking for based on the distribution details here: https://api.qualtrics.com/9128704e20b4e-distributions

Badge +1

This option is not ideal, but the email tasks outline that a “response is recorded” must be done to trigger an email.

Qualtrics offers 3 ways to record a response:

So while not ideal, the only solution I have found so far, is to collect email address in a “first” survey and link a “second” survey with an identifier ID variable. Details on doing this here.

This solution will get the job done, but is not the optimal solution. I would rather have 1 completed survey that doesn’t require a match merge of 2 datasets. Unfortunately the response in progress is presenting an issue to any workflow emails being sent.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Another option would be create a backend service on something like Lambda. After they complete the relevant block, send it details like the response ID, embedded data and email address, and send the email using this backend service.  

Leave a Reply