Idea for Google Sheet Task | XM Community

Idea for Google Sheet Task

• 16 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

It would be great if after you make a google sheet task, that you can add a field to an existing google sheet. For example: I have a survey that I just created multiple workflows that export out to a google sheet (task), but I forgot a field that I wanted to be included on these google sheets. I would love if I could go back and edit the task, and add the field, and it will then add to the google sheet. Currently, I have to recreate the task with the field that I forgot.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@SineadC If you haven't already, I’d recommend posting this in on Evolve, our new product ideation program. 😁 If you’re not sure how to post your idea, check out our Product Ideation Overview and our Create an Idea post.

Userlevel 4
Badge +16

Hello @SineadC, just to confirm, aren’t you able to edir the task? 
I hace a few google sheet tasks and when I need to add a new field, I just add it manually on the google sheet and then I go to the task and edit it and the new field it’s just there. 

Here an example of a google sheet task that I have running maybe during the las 6 months and I’m still able to edit it. (the only difference is that I take the info from a json event, but it should be the same with a survey)

It’s just necessary that the field exists on the google sheet so you can map it from the task.

If you are having any issue editing the task, it sounds more like something that support could assist you with.  

Best regards! 

Badge +4

Oh! I didn’t know or try this! I had contacted support twice, and both times they confirmed that once I created the task, I am not able to add a new field (in my case, I had forgotten that I needed a field, and I was not able to go back and re-do the task as I needed the results to come through on the google sheet that I had already set up). The solution from support was to delete the task and do it again. To confirm, you are able to add the field onto the google sheet and then it gives you the option to add it as a field in the task? I couldn’t find any way to be able to add a field; I can edit existing fields, but not add a new one.

Userlevel 4
Badge +16

Yep, totally. The thing with this task is that it is designed to add new registers (rows) on an existing Gsheet. It is not able to create new variables (columns). But if you create a new column manually into your Gsheets (you just have to put a name in the first row), Qualtrics is able to identify it in the task.

For example here I just created the field “New_Column” in my Gsheed that is updated by a task that I created like 5 months ago. And below you can see that I can map that field in the task. 

Now, It happened to me only once that the task had some kind of bug and I wasn’t able to edit it. So I had to create it all over again. But you can still add the new column in your Gsheet and use exactly the same Gsheet you have been using and it will start updating from the las row. 

Hope this helps!

Badge +4

Thanks so much! I am going to try this! Appreciate the help!

Leave a Reply