distribution link to a different survey? | XM Community
Question

distribution link to a different survey?

• 11 February 2020
  • 8 replies

I'm building a series of 4 related longitudinal surveys using a randomly-generated Login ID as embedded data.

This support page
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/common-use-cases-rc/pulling-data-into-a-second-survey-longitudinal-surveys/

tells me that I need to distribute the link to the second (and subsequent) surveys from the first survey and explains how to build a URL that incorporates the login. BUT when I replace the automatically generated link in the email distribution for the first survey with the link to the second survey, it tells me there's no survey link in the email and so won't send.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I'm assuming you are using the distribute survey task. If so, you need to keep the piped version of the URL. Just add your parameters:
${l://SurveyURL}?Login%20ID=${e://Field/Login%20ID}

If you just put the url in it won't work. Make sure you have the second survey selected.
If you feel more comfortable with pasting the URL (or you are having issues still) try using the email task (versus distribute survey task). This won't check for a survey url to save.

Thanks. That's helpful - but, second survey selected *where*?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
If you are using the distribute survey task in the actions settings. There will be a choice on what survey to distribute.

But I think it might be easier to just paste the URL from "Building the Survey Link" into an "Email Task." You can't paste it into a "Distribute Survey" task.
Yeah, maybe. I wanted to set it up as an action, but I don't really know what event to trigger on.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I would assume you want survey response as the trigger.

The idea is someone fills our Survey 1. That triggers a task to send an email with a link to Survey 2. In the send email task, you can have it send after 1 week (or whatever you want the delay to be.
That's my problem. We want to trigger on external conditions. We are surveying groups that visit (in real life) on irregular schedules. I guess maybe I could send a generic "are you ready to take the survey" survey that then triggers the real survey. Or, if I could figure out how to trigger on a change in external data, we could enter dates to send each survey into the contact list.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
You can trigger off external data (e.g. Zapier) using JSON events in the actions tab or the Zapier integration. What system is the data in?
I just got the API enabled, so (literally, just this minute) now have the JSON event option. Previously the only options were survey response and ticket event. Data is in an MySQL database. I'll take a look at Zapier. Thanks!

Leave a Reply