How do I keep respondent line-feeds in text questions when creating a report? | XM Community
Solved

How do I keep respondent line-feeds in text questions when creating a report?

I feel like I am missing something basic here since I can't find this question being asked by anyone else, anywhere.

I have several Multi Line Text type questions in which my faculty are going to provide a narration which will consist of multiple paragraphs. When I go to make a report, the line spacing is gone. It still exists in the data because when I go into Data & Analysis and edit the response, it immediately expands showing the paragraph breaks. Then when I leave the field, it compresses back to a single block. Also, when I export the data to CSV, the line feeds are retained.

All of my attempts at reports have failed to show the line feeds and I can't find any options in the Report tools that allow it to expand.

Thank you for any help.
icon

Best answer by KendraR 30 May 2019, 18:36

View original

3 replies

Badge +1
My guess is that the report is being made as an HTML page. If so, you could use javascript to replace the paragraph breaks with <br>. Then you would have to check to see that it was correct in the CSV format later.

It might be easier to export the data into CSV and do your reports from another tool.
Thank you, WaterSampler. I ended up doing that. I export the data into an Excel file, then I create a pivot table around a key data field (Name) and then print that. Does a nice job, though a bit complicated as I need to hand this off to relatively unsophisticated Admins.

It bothers me that there is no option in Qualtrics Reports that just retains the extremely primitive formatting of plain text input.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Hi, @dbasener! Just wanted to jump in here say that this specific use case sounds like something that our Support Team should take a look at with you! If you haven't already, I would recommend reaching out to them. 😃

Leave a Reply