Why would an embedded data variable not show up when exported on Legacy? | XM Community
Solved

Why would an embedded data variable not show up when exported on Legacy?

• 7 November 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
When exporting data via Legacy format, there are 3 embedded data variables we use that consistently export with blank data. They are named "segmentM", "segmentP" and "segmentS". Values are just a number between 1 and 7. There is clearly data in the dataset as it can be seen in the "Data and Analysis" screen, but when exporting to SPSS or CSV all the values are blank. When I export via "Download Data Table" (not Legacy), the values export just fine.

Can anyone think of a reason for this?

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by MohammedAli_Rajapkar 12 November 2018, 09:40

View original

5 replies

Badge +6
Hi @GeoffK ,

If you have edited this data manually (i.e. by pressing Edit button) then legacy will not able to export those. It show as warning while exporting as highlighted below:

!
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Thanks for responding. Unfortunately that is not the issue as the data has not been manually edited.

For additional context, this embedded data is passed through a survey link, so when a respondent comes into the survey it is linked to their response. We pass many other variables as well, it is always just these 3 that don't carry forward into the data file (but they are in the dataset that I can see online and when exporting the non-legacy way).
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Have you created these variables in survey flow as embedded variables
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Yes I have. Again, they appear to pass through to the dataset just fine as I can see the data in the "Data and Analysis" screen. The only issue is in exporting in Legacy format the columns show up as blank. When I export non-legacy ("Download Data Table"), the columns are populated. I can't think of a good reason why this would occur.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I believe in this case you should reach out to Qualtrics support. They will have to check if there is any bug for this...

Leave a Reply