Limited dashboard export permissions | XM Community
Question

Limited dashboard export permissions

• 22 August 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi, 

Is there a way to create a Dashboard User Role so that they can export the data from a widget, but not the entire dashboard?

For instance, I don’t want users to be able to export the full record of responses, but it would be nice to enable them with csv’s of what appears within a widget. For example, Comments and Labels seen on the Response Ticker, or the breakdown of CSAT scores on a bar graph. 

Thank you!

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hello @jcourtneyZ 

Yes, this functionality is possible where you can obviously limit what they can see on their dashboard as well as exporting permission. The export permissions are not within the Dashboard User Role but rather in the dashboard settings itself. Here is a screenshot displaying what it looks like. 

As you can see you can toggle off the “Allow dashboard Export” and only allow “Widget Export”. Now with these settings turn on, your dashboard users no longer have the ability to export the entire dashboard and can individually export widgets. Depending on what widget is being used, only certain widgets will allow a CSV file export. According to Qualtrics, the following widgets are limited to a PNG or PDF: Qtip: Only Bubble Charts, Participation widgets, Gauge Charts, and Engagement Summaries cannot be exported to a CSV or TSV. 

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@EricCrayon101 thank you for your reply! This looks promising, however, I’m not seeing what you are seeing. In looking at Q Support, I think that your screenshot is for EX Dashboards. I think I must not have that view for CX :/ I should have specified

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@jcourtneyZ  All good, I see now that is not the same. The only thing I could find relating to the CX dashboards is you are able to restrict the data that they can view/export? In the fourth bullet point Qualtrics points out the issue you are facing. Here is the link: Step 6: Sharing & Administering CX Dashboards (qualtrics.com)

I am not too sure if you have tried this but I have seen this done before. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

@jcourtneyZ This was from 4 years ago but I am not too sure if it is still valid: Permission to export widget but not dashboard | XM Community (qualtrics.com)

Userlevel 5
Badge +20

Hello @jcourtneyZ ,

Here is what I can suggest - create a new dashboard map only selected fields you want to give access to export and share the required dashboard with desired members.

Things should work as desired. Hope this helps

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

@jcourtneyZ unfortunately there is no way to do this in a way you might anticipate.  I am surprised to see this is a feature in EX, so hopefully it’s on route to CX soon. I’ve been trying to chase this for years.

In current environment where data security and privacy regulations are ever increasing the platform has not kept up in the controls it gives administrators (IMO).  We have had to turn off export for most of our users, with extensive training and acceptance of risks for those who remain. Instead our team manages bulk of requests for export separately from the platform, until longer term plan to integrate with other data platforms with more controls.

As others have mentioned, you can create another dashboard and only map in the bare minimum of data you need for these widgets.  This is the only workaround I know of after multiple engagements with Qualtrics team members, however this may not be practical for all use cases (for me it isn’t), as the page download still exists & what exports is still different. 

In my experience (from exploring it) you might want to consider if users need two dashboards depending on what data your trying to prevent exporting and how dashboard is intended to be used in first place. Limiting exporting to the 2nd dashboard.  This needs to be a different dashboard, not just a separate dashboard page though as the full data set would still export otherwise.  The effort here particularly if you have multiple programs is why we landed on managing exports centrally. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

there is no direct way to create a custom Dashboard User Role with the ability to export data from specific widgets while restricting access to the entire dashboard. User roles in Qualtrics are generally based on access to specific projects, surveys, or dashboards, and the export permissions are tied to those roles.

However, you can achieve a similar result by using a combination of dashboard filters and data visualization settings. You could apply filters to the dashboard widgets to show only the data you want the specific users to see. Then, customize the export options for those widgets to allow exporting in the desired format (such as CSV).

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

there is no direct way to create a custom Dashboard User Role with the ability to export data from specific widgets while restricting access to the entire dashboard. User roles in Qualtrics are generally based on access to specific projects, surveys, or dashboards, and the export permissions are tied to those roles.

However, you can achieve a similar result by using a combination of dashboard filters and data visualization settings. You could apply filters to the dashboard widgets to show only the data you want the specific users to see. Then, customize the export options for those widgets to allow exporting in the desired format (such as CSV).

^ I have not been able to find a way to customize the export option for CX widgets but please let me know if I’m missing something

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@jcourtneyZ unfortunately there is no way to do this in a way you might anticipate.  I am surprised to see this is a feature in EX, so hopefully it’s on route to CX soon. I’ve been trying to chase this for years.

In current environment where data security and privacy regulations are ever increasing the platform has not kept up in the controls it gives administrators (IMO).  We have had to turn off export for most of our users, with extensive training and acceptance of risks for those who remain. Instead our team manages bulk of requests for export separately from the platform, until longer term plan to integrate with other data platforms with more controls.

As others have mentioned, you can create another dashboard and only map in the bare minimum of data you need for these widgets.  This is the only workaround I know of after multiple engagements with Qualtrics team members, however this may not be practical for all use cases (for me it isn’t), as the page download still exists & what exports is still different. 

In my experience (from exploring it) you might want to consider if users need two dashboards depending on what data your trying to prevent exporting and how dashboard is intended to be used in first place. Limiting exporting to the 2nd dashboard.  This needs to be a different dashboard, not just a separate dashboard page though as the full data set would still export otherwise.  The effort here particularly if you have multiple programs is why we landed on managing exports centrally. 

Agreed - the value in the dashboard for me is a one-stop-shop for many surveys and data. Creating separate dashboards for different users/use cases would be difficult to maintain. So yes, looks like I’m in the same boat as you.

Leave a Reply