🍎 Back to School | Badge of the Month | September 2022 | XM Community

🍎 Back to School | Badge of the Month | September 2022

🍎  Back to School | Badge of the Month | September 2022
Badge +48

How to Participate

During the first week of each month, we will post a new question, topic, or activity for you to connect with the community and earn a badge. All community members who contribute a thoughtful comment to this month’s discussion, between September 1 and September 30, will receive this badge worth 40 points.

Badge of the Month | September 2022

Question: Who is / was your favorite teacher / professor?
It's back-to-school time here in the United States! Everyone has that one teacher or professor that changed their lives and made them feel seen, even though teachers are rarely compensated in accordance with their impact. This month, we want to share our appreciation for these incredible, hard-working, education professionals. Tell us about your favorite teacher or professor!

104 replies

Badge +1

My 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Taylor. The reason - she saw and treated each of her students as individuals. She always praised us on our successes and noticed, then assisted, with any struggles.
One day she called me to her desk and quietly asked if I knew my multiplication tables, since she had noticed me struggling. I said I knew some, but as she quizzed me, she realized I was only confident through the 5's. So she gave me an after-hours assignment to study each table one-by-one each week and then she tested me on Fridays. In no time at all, I knew them all!
Her absolute dedication to her role as a Teacher has stayed with me through all these years. She truly wanted us all to learn. She wasn't just putting in the hours. She absolutely deserved the designation - Teacher.

Badge +48

jmborzick your teachers sound so incredible and thoughtful 🤩
It also sounds like they pushed themselves to their limits!

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

For me it's a tie between my 8th Grade teacher, Mr. Lohr and my Calc teacher, "Glick."
Both were incredibly passionate about their subject matter and both pushed their students to their limits. More importantly, they knew their students' limits better than the kids did and made sure that each student achieved more than the kids thought they did. Neither excepted "good enough."

Userlevel 4
Badge +16

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/49944#Comment_49944Being able to explain complex issues in a simple and obvious manner that's easy to understand is such a gift!

Userlevel 4
Badge +16

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/49942#Comment_49942Thank you for sharing that @MelissaW 😁 I completely agree with Dr. Sun, that's wonderful advice!

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

My favorite teacher was Professor John Alford at Rice University. He was a pioneer in empirical testing of public policy interventions, most specifically in using ARIMA models to isolate the incremental impact of specific interventions. He had a knack for making seemingly complex issues appear simple and obvious. His ability to find the meaning in data carried over into his interaction with his students. He could quickly identify what you were struggling with, even when you had a difficult time explaining it yourself.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Dr. Sun at the University of Delaware shared the enlightening advice that you should love your work, and that there isn't a "right" or perfect path to anyone's career. We gather experiences and mentors and make our own way. It was groundbreaking to me at an age when set educational paths were all I could see, and opened me up to new electives and internships that still serve me well!
(Great topic!)

Badge +48

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/49911#Comment_49911We call "middlebare school" high school in the US! I wish I had a teacher that looked like Mr. Bean 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

My favourite teacher would be Mr. Van Severen, my history and aesthetics (art history) teacher. (I don't know what the translation of "middelbare school" is in English, but it's the school where you are between the age of 13 and 18).
He didn't use a handbook, but he used a lot of overhead-projections (yes, back then we didn't have smart screens with powerpoints, we just had images printed on a plastic scheet that was then put on a kind of table with a lamp and some mirrors that projected the image on a wall xD).
He would talk very enthousiastically about history and art. Plus he looked a bit like Mr. Bean and had an equal sense of humor 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/49783#Comment_49783Wow, James -- I love this quote of yours: "Quality of survey feedback has a direct correlation to quality of questions (aka language) and overall survey structure/approach. Carefully and strategically crafted questions are a paramount component of survey design."
We couldn't agree more! 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/49810#Comment_49810I love this story! Thank you so much for sharing. Kindergarten teachers play such a key role in our development, and I remember mine, as well. Thank you for your service as a teacher -- and now serving other teachers! We're happy you're a part of our online community.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/49820#Comment_49820Problem solving is an often overlooked opportunity for learning! I'm so glad you have had teachers and mentors to show you the way!

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/49882#Comment_49882I love that! It may be a cliché, but teachers are truly heroes 🍎

Userlevel 5
Badge +33

My favorite teacher is my sister. Hearing firsthand about all of the things that teachers have to juggle throughout the day was really eye-opening and it made me appreciate each of the teachers I've ever had even more. It's definitely not an easy job and I really respect everyone who does it.

Badge +7

During all my learning processes I have had excellent teachers, however, those who have marked my experience the most have been those who, at the time of showing us the applicability of knowledge in the work environment to be able to solve industry problems in an agile and effective way. , like my Logistics teacher, my internship leader and my English teachers.During all my learning processes I have had excellent teachers, however, those who have marked my experience the most have been those who, at the time of showinf me the applicability of the knowledge in the work environment, taught me to solve the industry problems in a really agile and effective way, like my logistics teacher, my internship leader and my English teachers 😀

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

My favorite teacher was my Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Barber. I will never forget her sweet smile and kind voice. I had very long hair when I started that first year of school, but because I wanted to be just like my teacher I begged my mom to let me cut it all off. I ended getting a super short "bob" (almost a pixi style) cut. My mom freaked out, but I knew it was perfect. She made learning fun and made me want to grow up to be a teacher- which I did! I just completed 10 years in the classroom and now moved into a new role helping teachers in my district and managing data. There are many other amazing teachers that influenced me throughout the years, as well. I was blessed by some of the best out there that helped me grow as a person and as an educator. ❤

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

My favorite teacher was in middle school English who I was fortunate to have both 7th and 8th grade. She was foundational in expanding my vocabulary and overall forming my approach and structure to writing and communication. It was only a few years ago that I actually learned sentence diagramming was NOT something she invented! : mind blown :
Language is incredibly powerful and communication is critical to everyday life. Learning and practicing effective communication helps foster respectful relationships, enhance conflict resolution, and generally just navigate a complex world in a productive way.

Okay, and that ties back to sentence diagramming how??
Admittedly a wee bit tangential, but I've seen many people through the years struggle to find common ground or respectfully understand each others perspectives and so often this boils down to language used setting parties up for failure through unclear communication or misunderstanding without clarification.

Sweet and all, now what relevance does this have to a Qualtrics community forum?
Quality of survey feedback has a direct correlation to quality of questions (aka language) and overall survey structure/approach. Carefully and strategically crafted questions are a paramount component of survey design.
#ShoutOutToEnglishTeachers

Userlevel 6
Badge +51

A lot of math fans here!! SimonToroF DanielaZ

Badge +6

My favorite teacher was my math teacher in middle school. His name is Richard.
He had a very unique way to explain maths and always tried to be so dynamic in his classes, that way his students never got bored about learning something new.
I think that math classes were one of the reasons why I decided to study engineering.

Badge +2

My favorite Teacher was Gonzalo Zapata. He was the best Math teacher in the world. He always taught us how to apply Maths in our lives. Sometimes he used to speak about philosophy. He encorage us to fail and stand up with a positive attitude.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/49733#Comment_49733Unfortunately, I've been out of high school way too long, and can't remember. 😁

Badge +48

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/49732#Comment_49732This sounds so fascinating! Do you happen to know where he recreated the terrains?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

All time favorite was my high school history teacher. He actually served in WWII and recreated European terrains in the US for soldiers to practice before being sent over and would tell us all about it. He brought history to life!

Userlevel 5
Badge +23

The first teacher that comes to mind is Mr. Thomas; he taught history and a Mountaineering class. I was in both of those with him. He made history interesting, treated each student with respect, and made us feel our opinion was worth voicing. In the Mountaineering class, he instilled confidence and encouraged us to step out of our comfort zone. Brings back good memories.

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

My math professor in 10th grade was my favourite teacher. Everyone in the class benefited from this teacher's commitment and dedication since it was inspirational. He was quite helpful and made sure that the right steps were taken at the right times. His teaching style was so fantastic and simple that I managed to excel in the topic across all of the semesters.

Leave a Reply