Upcoming Deprecation of New Survey Triggers [Q1 2021] | XM Community

Upcoming Deprecation of New Survey Triggers [Q1 2021]

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

We have been busy improving and innovating the Actions tab so that it can act as a hub of all the workflows in your projects. With the introduction of the Email Task to meet the needs of the Email Trigger, the XM Directory Task to meet the needs of a Contact List Trigger, and the Salesforce Workflow Rule Event and Salesforce Task to replace Salesforce triggers, we will be working towards phasing out Triggers.

Deprecation of New Triggers

Deprecation of Triggers WarningStarting January 18, 2021, you will not be able to create new triggers, and will instead see the message displayed above. We advise you to use the corresponding features in the Actions tab instead of triggers. 
You will still have access to existing triggers, and be able to edit them as needed.

Actions vs. Triggers

Overall, the Actions tab gives you more flexibility regarding the types of events that can lead to the creation of emails and contact lists, and also offers more tasks and integrations that can result from a survey response being submitted. However, the Email Task and XM Directory Task also have specific improvements over their respective predecessors.
Improvements the Email Task has over Email Triggers:
  • Pull in library messages (and thus translations) for subject lines and messages.

• Better response reports, with more capabilities.

• Greater brand admin control over valid email domains.

• Action Reporting for troubleshooting why an email did not send.

Improvements the XM Directory Task has over Contact List Triggers:
  • Specify transactional data.

• Integration with survey distributions.

See Salesforce Best Practices for a summary of improvements the Actions tab offers over the the Tools menu setup.

Eventual Deprecation of Existing Triggers

The soonest we will start phasing out existing triggers is currently undetermined. Leading up to this time, it is important to start migrating existing triggers that your workflow relies on to the Actions tab.

Moving Older Triggers to the Actions Tab

Qtip: When adding an Event, you will most likely need to choose Survey Response, and for the response type, select Created.

Qtip: Conditions are not required, but can enhance an experience. For example, we may want to make sure the contact information for a respondent wasn’t left empty before adding them to a contact list.
Workflow Conditions

Qtip: Save messages you want to use in Email Task as General Messages. Save subjects as Email Subjects.
For Salesforce, see the following pages:

Edit: Date of new trigger deprecation moved from January 18, 2021 to Q1 2021; more specific date to come. Estimated date of triggers being phased out entirely is undetermined.

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks for the tag uhrxx005! An official deprecation date has not yet been established, but additional client communications are set to make way this quarter.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

At this time, we do not have an impending date for the deprecation of triggers; triggers will not be deprecated in the near future. We will update you as soon as we have additional information and an updated timeline from our product team!
uhrxx005 - to provide a little more information on your inquiry. Thank you so much for the patience!

I just found out about the planned deprecation of triggers, which will cause huge problems to a great number of procedures set up for our programs. This extremely worries me. Qualtrics really should maintain existing triggers. If deprecation is inevitable, sufficient time should be given for migration while ensuring the full compatibility of features. It is a relief to hear "triggers will not be deprecated in the near future." However, more details would be greatly appreciated about the plan.

Userlevel 5
Badge +24

I moved all my triggers to the Actions / Tasks but some are not updating the contacts within the directory. Has this not been fixed yet?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi,
I am finding I cannot set triggers within the Actions area unless a response is submitted. It would be nice if the action trigger email could be setup to send upon just an answer given to a question and clicking on "Next" instead of just on survey submittals

Badge +1

I just spent the last 24 hours moving my conditional emails to workflow from triggered emails. Even though I deleted my triggers, they are still "active" so I am getting double emails. In addition, the logic options in workflow are not intuitive. For a new survey response I am getting all my workflow emails even though they do not meet the conditions. I am at risk of being able to launch a new survey tomorrow if I can't figure this out. Help! Please!

Badge +48

Hi CANATSU! Hmmm, this sounds like it may not be intended functionality. If you have not yet already, we’d recommend reaching out to our Support team, as they are best equipped to handle an issue like this! 😁

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/42615#Comment_42615Are you taking new survey links or using the existing survey links in your tests? I think this may be happening to you if you are using the same surveys links that were already open...
Also, when setting up the triggers in workflow, there is a little option at the top for either having "All" or "Any" of the conditions be met...this could be a reason why you are getting all your workflow conditions to trigger.

Leave a Reply