Is it possible to duplicate a group? | XM Community
Solved

Is it possible to duplicate a group?

• 17 July 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi,
This question relates to reducing my workload when creating a large survey. I have a survey that includes a large set of questions. I want to create 10 psychological conditions represented by 10 sets of these questions. Each condition will present a slightly different version of the questions to 10 groups of participants . I'd generate a random number 1-10 to direct a participant to a condition (i.e. the appropriate set of questions)

My plan was to create 1 version of the questions, then create 9 duplicates. I'd then go back and edit to create the slight differences. I've added my set of questions to a group but cannot find a way of duplicating the group. When I hit duplicate, the copy appears in survey flow view, but the additional set of questions doesn't appear in the survey edit view.

any ideas - essentially I'm trying to duplicate a group, which is made up of a number of blocks, each block being made of multiple questions.
icon

Best answer by TomG 17 July 2018, 16:32

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Copying a Block in the Survey Flow will just show that block twice, and also overwrite the questions from the first time the person saw the block. It is essentially creating a Shallow Copy of the Block.

Instead, you'll want to use the Copy Block functionality in the Block Options menu on the top right of the block. This will make a Deep Copy of the Block that can be edited independently.

!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
When you duplicate a group you are not adding new question blocks. You are just repeating the same question blocks again.

You'll have to copy the question blocks in survey edit view, then place them in the appropriate places in the survey flow.
Thanks for your responses so far.
Is there any way of duplicating multiple blocks in one go? I have about 40 blocks that I have to duplicate 10 times (total 400 blocks) - duplicating one by one will take me a long time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure there isn't. I've been in a similar situation before and it is a slow process.

You could import your questions from a text file, but that just gives you the basic questions without any type of customization (randomization, force response, etc.), so it may not be helpful.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
> @Steve_F said:
> Thanks for your responses so far.
> Is there any way of duplicating multiple blocks in one go? I have about 40 blocks that I have to duplicate 10 times (total 400 blocks) - duplicating one by one will take me a long time.
>

No, I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist. 😞
Badge +1

Is there any way to do this? I also have a large number of blocks (42) that I need to copy multiple times (12). Is there any way to automate that?

Leave a Reply