How to randomise and stratify participants? | XM Community
Solved

How to randomise and stratify participants?

• 13 August 2018
  • 7 replies

How to randomise participants to either the control group or the experimental group questions, but they also need to be stratified according to group.

I.e. Qualtrics needs to access a common data base, and participants of a specific type (e.g. female, no association to an FGM practising country - determined by whether they say one of their parents was born from a practising country as per drop down list) then access a particular record in the data base based on the order in which they log on. To illustrate, e.g. females with no association to a practising country. Let's number them based on when they log on, e.g. 1, 2, 3, . . .

For 1 and 2, flip a coin to see which list 1 gets. Force 2 to the get the opposite list.

For 3 and 4, flip a coin to see which list 3 gets. Force 4 to get the opposite list.

Etc.

Do the same for the other three categories of participant.

ANY help would be much appreciated! Thank you.
icon

Best answer by LibertyW 21 August 2018, 22:54

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21
hello @Fatou ,
Hope below link will help you:
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/standard-elements/randomizer/#UsingTheRandomizerWithOtherElements
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
hello @Fatou
when you mean Qualtrics needs to access a common data base , do you mean the responses of earlier respondents or there is another database (not created from the survey) , through which you are pulling the data ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
If you want respondent to see one of control group or the experimental group. program these as separate blocks and in survey flow place these blocks in randomizer and randomly select 1.
Hello @Fatou ,

How are you going to number them based on when they log on OR you have already numbered them in your qualtrics database(contact list).
Thanks everyone. Its based on the responses of earlier participants, which cannot be stored on Qualtrics (and Java is also front end logic). I've sat down with some people and the only possible option seems to be to use the 'add web service' function on survey flow. Which would mean building the program and that seems perhaps too much for our capability 😞
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
> @Fatou said:
> Thanks everyone. Its based on the responses of earlier participants, which cannot be stored on Qualtrics (and Java is also front end logic). I've sat down with some people and the only possible option seems to be to use the 'add web service' function on survey flow. Which would mean building the program and that seems perhaps too much for our capability :(

Although a webservice would be ideal, I would think including a edv in their link with the number they were assigned to in the previous survey, and using a randomizer (evenly presented) and then branching based on the edv could work ... in theory.
@Libertywick that is not something we have thought of so thank you. I'll take it to the team and see what they think.

Leave a Reply