• 28 February 2023
  • 2 replies
📚️ Recode Values | Basecamp Wednesdays | March 1st 2023
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
  • Former XM Community Team Member
  • 451 replies

What is Basecamp Wednesdays?

Every Wednesday we will look at different topics discussed on XM Basecamp and provide a brief description of the Basecamp resource.
Whether you’re just getting started on your XM journey or ready to take your program to the next level, this weekly series is meant to help all users find Basecamp resources. 

Basecamp Wednesdays | March 1st 2023

Topic: Recode Values

When exporting data for statistical analysis or creating visualizations, text data complicates the process by being inconsistent when compared across different responses.

Recode values resolve this issue by automatically assigning a numerical value to each answer choice sequentially & transforming the text answer choices to quantitative data. These values stop updating to reflect the new answer choice order once you start collecting responses; however, they can always be manually modified to align with your desired statistical analysis. If you want to have both text data & recode values, you can also change the variable names which are the labels of the choices when you export in choice text format.

Facilitate your statistical analysis & quantify your data by using recode values today!

Where to find this course:

1. Go to XM Basecamp.
  2. Search for Understanding Your Research Feedback.
  3. Click Register.
  4. Find the Recoding Values section.

Basecamp Video Link: Recoding Values

Support Page: Recode Values

Question of the Week: Is this the first time you’ve heard of recode values? If not, what is your most frequent use case for using them?

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +22

My most frequent use case for recode values is when a survey has already gone live, but an edit needs to be made (add an additional choice to a multiple-choice question, etc.).  Then I will have to manually adjust the recode values in order for the options to appear the way we would like them to on a dashboard.  It hasn’t happened often, but I have had to use it a few times.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

My most frequent use case for recode values is when a survey has already gone live, but an edit needs to be made (add an additional choice to a multiple-choice question, etc.).  Then I will have to manually adjust the recode values in order for the options to appear the way we would like them to on a dashboard.  It hasn’t happened often, but I have had to use it a few times.

Using recode values as a fix or dashboard is definitely a unique use case! Very clever. 😄

Leave a Reply