Is it possible to insert page breaks within a question? | XM Community
Question

Is it possible to insert page breaks within a question?

• 19 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I am creating a series of sliders to compare different images. The images very large and I am worried about overwhelming the survey respondent with too many images on one page. Is there a way to insert page breaks within a question? Thank you.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

No, there is no way to break up a question to span multiple pages. Is there a reason you want all your sliders to be in the same question vs having multiple sliders questions? I might be able to come up with a solution to that reason.

Badge +1

Hi JeremyK
Thanks for responding. The reason is because I want to be able to tailor the response options of the next question based on the slider that scored the lowest. In other words, I want to be able to compare the slider scores to each other later on.
Specifically, if there are 3 slider items in Question 1, I want to make it so the participant identifies which item in question 1 scores lowest, and then I want to ask the respondent about that lowest scoring item relative to the other 2 items.
Does that make sense? I'm happy to elaborate further if not.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I think that makes sense, but I'm not sure that warrants the need to split the question onto multiple pages; you're probably fine doing it all on one page. If you'd like, we could try adding white space between sliders on the same page to visually break up the larger images. Can you drop a screenshot into this chat so I can see what your survey spacing looks like now? Thanks!

Badge

I would also like to break up a question over a couple of pages. I'm using a validated scale with 45 items. I want the scale to be labeled consistently (EPSI_1, EPSI_2 etc) so I need all items in the same question (labeled EPSI). But I feel that the items are too long to all be presented on a single page -especially when completing the survey on a phone. Is there a way to do this?
I can see that I can set the number of items per page in the 'look and feel' section, but am worried this may modify the display for other questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Leave a Reply