Looking for a way to add a back button to the Response Summary when it's separated in survey flow. | XM Community

Looking for a way to add a back button to the Response Summary when it's separated in survey flow.

• 11 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello,
I have a survey where I display a Response Summary page at the end, but before users submit their responses. We do this so that they can review their responses and go back as needed to make corrections.
Recently, I added a Table of Contents element and nested most of my blocks in it. I then realized that the previous button had disappeared on the Response Summary page. It turns out that happened because the End of Survey element, which includes the response summary, cannot be nested within the Table of Contents element. And, here's the part I didn't know, the back button will not show between blocks that have any survey flow element between them.
I am hoping that someone can find a way, through custom code or otherwise, of adding back the button. If it cannot be done back to the previous page (which would be one nested in the ToC element), perhaps there would be a way to include a link on the Response Summary back to a block that exists before the ToC in my survey flow (i.e., and earlier block that isn't nested in the ToC). Or, maybe there is a way to link to the Table of Contents page (i.e., Section Links).
Thank you!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi LouRisc ,
I ran into this same issue when my organization migrated to Qualtrics. I don't think I ever came across a custom solution to make a Back button appear in the EOS element. That seems to be the way Qualtrics has designed it; this seems odd, because I'm not sure why anyone would want to have a situation where a respondent can view their responses to a survey that has not been submitted, but be unable to go back and change them.
Not to discourage you from trying to find a solution, but, as much as the TOC would have enhanced the navigation in my very lengthy surveys, in the end I abandoned the idea of using it. My experience showed that it was basically incompatible to use a TOC and an EOS that includes a response summary in the same survey; using them in the same survey lead to other erratic navigation patterns, beyond the lack of a Back button. In addition, when I had a chance to reach developers in Qualtrics, they indicated that the TOC was not really on the product roadmap so I shouldn't expect any enhancements or fixes for it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/42859#Comment_42859Hi MatthewM. Thanks for that insight. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I suspect I may have to abandon the TOC, too, if I don't find any solutions by my deadline.

Leave a Reply