✏️ Deselecting Answer Choices | Getting Started Mondays | August 28th 2023 | XM Community

✏️ Deselecting Answer Choices | Getting Started Mondays | August 28th 2023

• 28 August 2023
  • 2 replies
✏️ Deselecting Answer Choices | Getting Started Mondays | August 28th 2023
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
  • Former XM Community Team Member
  • 451 replies

What is Getting Started Mondays?

Every Monday we will highlight a Core XM feature, and the post will include a description of the chosen topic, a support page, and related community content. The goal of this weekly series is to help users find support pages or community posts that relate to the topic. Remember to always contact Qualtrics Support for product-related issues or urgent questions.

Getting Started Mondays | August 28th 2023

Topic: Deselecting Answer Choices

De-selecting an answer choice is a common use case in surveys, especially when an answer is clicked accidentally on an optional question. There are times when respondents change their mind and want to leave a question unanswered, but by default, once an answer choice is selected the only option respondents have is to choose another answer.

By utilizing multiple-answer multiple-choice questions and adding an answer range validation, you create a regular multiple-choice question that allows choices to be de-selected and displays a validation message when more than one is selected. Other related solutions include having an answer choice that is exclusive so it de-selects all other options when it is clicked.

Start collecting more reliable data today by allowing respondents to change their minds and provide the most accurate data!

Where to find this feature:

1. Go to your Survey.
  2. Click Add New Question.
  3. Add a Multiple Choice question.
  4. Change the Answer Type to Allow multiple answers.
  5. Go to Response Requirements and Add Validation.
  6. The Answer Range should have a Min and Max of 1.

Support Page Link:

Community Post Links

Question of the Day: Have you ever needed to create a question where respondents can deselect answers?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Yes, I’ve had this need on rare occasions.

It is very coincidental that this is today’s topic since I just finished a JS function, uncheckRadios, that does this without the need for multi-select questions or validation rules. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes, I’ve had this need on rare occasions.

It is very coincidental that this is today’s topic since I just finished a JS function, uncheckRadios, that does this without the need for multi-select questions or validation rules. 

What a coincidence! Thank you for including a link to your new function, now we have 3 different ways to deselect choices on this post. 😄

Leave a Reply