Alternative Ranking Questions | XM Community
Skip to main content

At the moment there are 4 options for a ranking question:

Drag and Drop - nice for respondents, but you only have to move one item to get through the question

Radio Buttons - can’t skip without ranking everything, not great on mobile if there are 10+ options

Select Box - again you only need to move one item to get through the question

Text Box - clumsy for the respondent but can’t skip without ranking everything (this is the one I tend to use)

I have seen another way to set up this question (in Alchemer) which is to have 2 boxes and the respondent moves items from one box to the other in rank order (which can still be changed in the second box), it is easy for respondents, all items need to be ranked and it doesn’t take up too much screen space (especially on mobile).

I would love to have something like this in Qualtrics and my questions are:

• Has anyone created some code to display the question as outlined?
  • Are there any other display options within Qualtrics that might be useful?
  • Are Qualtrics likely to create an option based on my outline?

I would appreciate any comments on this.

Thanks in advance

An option that I think comes close to your outline is to use the Pick, Group, and Rank question type with 1 Group. Respondents are shown a list of items to rank on the left and they drag them 1 at a time over to the Group on the right. Items can have their rank changed in the Group by dragging them to a new position. You can add Force Response to the question so that the respondent can only proceed if all of the items have been ranked. 

Also, here is a post for Ranking Text Entry that involves just clicking on the items to assign a rank instead of typing the rank in. Could be another option to consider.

@Arthur_Fletcher,

As @Tom_1842 pointed out, what you described sounds like a Pick, Group, and Rank question.

Another alternative: I’ve created a custom ranking question called bubbleBurst

Hi Tom_1842

That’s perfect thank you, not been in that dusty cupboard for some time but it’s exactly what I need.

Hi TomG

I love the bubbleBurst question, I now need to find a funky client who will let me use it!

Thanks to all

Arthur

Leave a Reply