Change display text for downloadable file? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Seeking your collective wisdom on this. I’m inserting downloadable files into a survey. The display text that appears is the file name. For a variety of reasons, I don’t want to communicate the file names to my respondents. I’d therefore like to change the display text, but I don’t see an easy way to do that.

I found one workaround, which is to copy the file’s link from the library, and then insert the link in the survey instead of the file. However, this seems to be causing a “session outdated” error when the respondent returns to the survey from the downloadable file. (Or at least, I think that’s what’s causing it.) I’d therefore like to find, if possible, a different way of changing the display text for the downloadable files. Anyone know how?

You could maybe rename the files accordingly before uploading them into Qualtrics, so that it’ll have the new titles that you prefer instead.

Thanks, ash123. I didn’t go that route because the files are very similar with slight differences based on the condition assignment of my research participants. To keep the files straight for myself, I need to name them according to the condition assignment, and that’s exactly what I don’t want the participants to see.

To change the display text for a downloadable file you've inserted, open the Rich Content Editor and then right click the link. Select "Edit Link" and then change the Display Text as needed.

Tom_1842, that’s exactly what I needed. Works like a charm. Thank you!

Leave a Reply