Combining questions. | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi all,

Qualtrics newbie here, so I hope I’m not told off if my question is quite basic. I wanted to hear from respondents on whether they’ve used ‘other’ (brands of) products (beyond the top ones I list) and, if they have, how many times they used the product. If, for example, they indicate they’ve used X  and Y products (neither of them on the list), is there a neat design (perhaps within the same question) for asking them how many times they used the product? Perhaps by combining a text entry box (for product name) with a drop down menu next to each product giving number of times (1, 2, etc). 

Hi @Warwick_User,

I would suggest you to set up the survey as described:

1. Add a multiple-choice question and list all names as choices. Rename the last choice as "If Others, Please Specify" and click on the dropdown in front of the choice. Then select "All Text Entry" to add a text box for customers to specify other brands they have used.

2. Add a 'Drilldown' question titled 'Let us know how many times you have used it'. Apply display logic: 'If Others is Selected', then show this question. Also, ensure to enable the 'In page' option so it appears on the same page.

This setup will allow respondents to specify other brands and provide the frequency of use if they select the 'Others' option.

Let me know if this helps.

Take a look at the Side by Side question. It appears you are looking for that.

Hi @Warwick_User,

I would suggest you to set up the survey as described:

1. Add a multiple-choice question and list all names as choices. Rename the last choice as "If Others, Please Specify" and click on the dropdown in front of the choice. Then select "All Text Entry" to add a text box for customers to specify other brands they have used.

2. Add a 'Drilldown' question titled 'Let us know how many times you have used it'. Apply display logic: 'If Others is Selected', then show this question. Also, ensure to enable the 'In page' option so it appears on the same page.

This setup will allow respondents to specify other brands and provide the frequency of use if they select the 'Others' option.

Let me know if this helps.

Many thanks, I’ll give that a try. Is there a way of having this as a single question ie. “You said you have used other products (because they ticked ‘other products’ in a preceding question). Please list them below indicating how many times you’ve used each of them.” 

Take a look at the Side by Side question. It appears you are looking for that.

Thanks ahmedA. What did you have in mind?

Hi,

Following my previous suggestion, your survey layout will appear as below:

You can also try this, add your main question at the top of the survey. In the options, include 'Others' as one of the choices. Then, beneath the main question, add a 'Text Entry' question and a 'Drilldown' question. Apply display logic to these questions so that they are only shown if 'Others' is selected in the main question.

This setup will allow respondents to provide additional information if they choose the 'Others' option in your survey.

You can use CSS to remove the white space in between questions.

Hi @Warwick_User

You can also consider @ahmedA suggestion of using the 'Side by Side' question type.

Start by adding a multiple-choice question where you list all the names as choices. Ensure that the last choice is labeled as 'Others'. Then, add a 'Side by Side' question below it and apply display logic so that it appears only if 'Others' is selected in the previous question.

Here's a screenshot illustrating how to set it up:

For more details on using the 'Side by Side' question type, you can refer to the following link.

Hi @Warwick_User

You can also consider @ahmedA suggestion of using the 'Side by Side' question type.

Start by adding a multiple-choice question where you list all the names as choices. Ensure that the last choice is labeled as 'Others'. Then, add a 'Side by Side' question below it and apply display logic so that it appears only if 'Others' is selected in the previous question.

Here's a screenshot illustrating how to set it up:

For more details on using the 'Side by Side' question type, you can refer to the following link.

This is pretty much what I had in mind @Sachin Nandikol  @ahmedA , very many thanks. I’ll give this a go and let you know if I’m stuck. Cheers, once again. 

Leave a Reply