Empty reCAPTCHA value? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi, I have reCAPTCHA turned on for a survey. When I look at the data, the reCAPTCHA value is empty for a few survey responders (maybe 5% of responders). What does this mean?

reCAPTCHA relies on JS loading and running on the browser. If Google (the owner of reCAPTCHA) is blocked, reCAPTCHA doesn’t run.  So, it could be that the respondents are in a place where Google is blocked (e.g., China).

Hi @TomG , I am having this issue as well. Does this mean that all empty reCAPTCHA respondents are coming from outside the United States? If the reCAPTCHA is empty, how likely is it that the respondent is a bot?

reCAPTCHA relies on JS loading and running on the browser. If Google (the owner of reCAPTCHA) is blocked, reCAPTCHA doesn’t run.  So, it could be that the respondents are in a place where Google is blocked (e.g., China).

@TomG I wanted to circle back about the above. Your expertise and insight would be immensely appreciated!

Hi @TomG , I am having this issue as well. Does this mean that all empty reCAPTCHA respondents are coming from outside the United States? If the reCAPTCHA is empty, how likely is it that the respondent is a bot?

Unless you are specifically fielding in a country where reCAPTCHA is blocked, I would assume empty scores are bots and screen them out.

Leave a Reply