How to best capture user id? | XM Community
Skip to main content

I’m looking for ways to capture student id better.

1) Can we scrape their user id from their device, assuming they’ve logged in to email?

2) Can we store a list of all student id’s/names so they can pick from a list?

thank you.

You could upload an Excel/CSV file that contains all the possible student IDs and corresponding names into the Directory tab. Then, within your survey project, you could click “distributions” and select generate “personalized links.” When you select the list that you uploaded within the personalized links tab, you’ll be able to create unique links for each student, so when they click on their individual survey link, you will be able to determine who took the survey.

More instructions linked here: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/distributions-module/email-distribution/personal-links/#GeneratingPersonalLinks

Nice, thank you!  … sounds good.

If you don’t mind one more question - - - - could they later access this unique link and update / edit the survey without it creating a 2nd response?

@WilliamPeckUSNA You have to make them the retake link to update the response. Read this for more: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/data-and-analysis-module/retake-survey-link/

Nam - thank you!

@dxconnamnguyen 

Nam,

I tried this for “Retake Response” but it created a 2nd response … I expected that the first response was just editied. The support link says 

• Retake Response: The edited response replaces the original response.

But it didn’t replace the original response, it duplicated then updated the original response.

Thx.

Ok, what happened is then Qx deleted the original entry. So the process is

• copy the original entry
  • send URL, user edits their response from this copied entry
  • original response is deleted by Qx.

So the screen print I captured right away and Qx had not yet deleted the original entry.

Hope this makes sense.

Leave a Reply