How to filter results by display block order? | XM Community
Solved

How to filter results by display block order?

• 22 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi Community, a noob question: I have a survey with two blocks of questions, say A and B, where half of the participants answered first questions in block A, then in block B, and the other half of participants answered first the questions in block B, then the questions in block A.

Is there a way to display results/analysis filtering by the order in which the participants saw the questions? 

The “long way” is for me to download the data in a spreadsheet and do that manually, but I was hoping to get two separate qualtrics reports directly from the system for the two block orders.

I enclose a screenshot of the survey workflow

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Shashi 22 April 2023, 15:17

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

Hi @pmBristol 

You can create a new variable in qualtrics that indicates the order in which the participants saw the questions. For example, you can create a variable named "Order" and assign it a value of 1 for the group of participants who answered the questions in block A first, and a value of 2 for the group of participants who answered the questions in block B first.

Then you can use this variable to filter the results/analysis in qualtrics.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @pmBristol 

You can create a new variable in qualtrics that indicates the order in which the participants saw the questions. For example, you can create a variable named "Order" and assign it a value of 1 for the group of participants who answered the questions in block A first, and a value of 2 for the group of participants who answered the questions in block B first.

Then you can use this variable to filter the results/analysis in qualtrics.

thanks a ton, I did not know that I could create variables - however I had a look, and it seems like there is no way for me to build a formula based on the order in which participants saw the blocks, unless I do this manually for each  participants by looking at each entry, which of course defeats the purpose.

In other words, there seems to be no field corresponding to the order in which the questions/blocks were seen by respondents (though I can download that information when exporting the dataset), so I cannot create the variable: or am I missing something? 

Many thanks for your help!

Paola

Userlevel 6
Badge +27

The randomizer should look something like below and then we can use ‘Order’ embedded data to filter the respondent.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

The randomizer should look something like below and then we can use ‘Order’ embedded data to filter the respondent.

thanks very much - is the “set embedded data” part something I can add now (the survey has closed already)?

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +27

thanks very much - is the “set embedded data” part something I can add now (the survey has closed already)?

Thanks!

Sorry I misunderstood, I assumed the survey has not yet launched. But since we have aalready collected the data, the above approach won’t work.

In this scenario the only way to get the randomization order of the respondent is by checking option ‘Export viewing order data for randomized surveys’ while downloading the data.  This will provide an extra column in the export file to identify the order.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thanks!

Sorry I misunderstood, I assumed the survey has not yet launched. But since we have aalready collected the data, the above approach won’t work.

In this scenario the only way to get the randomization order of the respondent is by checking option ‘Export viewing order data for randomized surveys’ while downloading the data.  This will provide an extra column in the export file to identify the order.

ok, thanks a ton, we live and learn - now I can at least put this into my next survey (I am running a series of them). I’ll go the “long” way around then, and thanks again!

Leave a Reply