How to link individualized ID and subsequent survey contents? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello, I am writing to inquire about the embedded participant codes and individualized survey contents.
I will recruit participants, and three will work together as a team.
There are two types of participants: monolingual and bilingual.
Two monolingual and one bilingual will form a team.
I will recruit participants, assign teams, and give each participant individualized participant codes for identification before they participate in the study.
For example:
team 1 monolingual participants' code: m0001
team 1 bilingual participant's code: b0001.
team 2 monolingual participants' code: m0002
team 2 bilingual participant's code: b0002

So, here are the issues:
First, I want monolingual and bilingual participants to read different types of instruction and survey items.
I don't know how to do this. I guess I may need to use the 'embedded data' and 'branch' functions? Or do I need to use the 'Group' function? I tried to do this but failed, so I need detailed explanations. So far, I have generated two instruction blocks and survey blocks for monolingual participants and bilingual participants.

Second, each team will be guided to enter a zoom meeting room where each team has its unique zoom link. I want to interlock the participant code and the zoom link so that once participants enter their code at the start of the survey, the unique zoom link will be automatically set and shown to them later.
I want to give them a link using a text/graphic type question. Here is the example:
image.png
Please help me with this! Thank you so much in advance!

Hi,
I don't have a solution for your second question, but your first one should be pretty straight-forward. If you have items or blocks that are specific to monolingual or bilingual respondents, and you are adding their participant code to your embedded data, you can use Display Logic at either the question/item level or block level to show them as appropriate. See screen shots below.
Question level for monolingual:
image.png
Block level for bilingual:
image.png

Hello! Thanks for your answer.
I read your answer, generated a fake participants list, and then set it as embedded data and used the Branch function (screenshots attached), but it doesn't work at all.
What is the problem?
Even when I typed an accurate participantID, the Qualtrics showed me the "inconsistent participation code" block.
Other branch functions do not work either...
Please help me with this! Thank you so much
image.png
image.png

Hi,
I see a few things to change. First, the "Set Embedded Data" element should go at the very top of the Survey Flow. In addition, there should be only one occurrence of that element, so remove the second one that is under the ParticipantID contains B branch.
Who is the Inconsistent Participation Code block supposed to appear to? The way the condition is set up now, with an OR, it will be shown to everyone. Maybe you mean to have an AND there instead?

Hello,
The targets who would see the Inconsistent Participation Code block are those whose participation codes are not included in the ParticipantID list. How can I set it up? I know that the current setup does not match with what I want to do. And yes, I changed OR to AND, but still the inconsistent message shows up and I don't know why.

For the second question you could create a loop and merge with one field being the parcipant codes and other being the zoom links.
Then paste the zoom link in a question, and add display logic to only show when the particpicant code matches field 1.

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/42790#Comment_42790If it's still not working as expected after changing OR to AND, make sure you've republished the survey so the change is live.

Leave a Reply