How to make it if they answer question X, then question Y becomes mandatory. | XM Community
Question

How to make it if they answer question X, then question Y becomes mandatory.

• 19 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

I am trying to make it where if the person taking the survey answers question 6 (which is an optional multiple choice question), then question 7 becomes mandatory to answer (text entry question). I do not want to just make question 7 a forced response. I have tried a few different times at validations, with no luck. If anyone knows how to do this, your help would be greatly appreciated. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You could have two versions of Q7 on the same page. One forced response, the other optional.

In case an individual answers Q6, show forced response Q7. In case one doesn’t, show the other.

Since only one will be answered, you can collapse the responses to one field, in either the survey flow or field editor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

You might try setting up custom validation like this.

Sample questions
Custom Validation

Badge +1

Could you show an example of how to do that? I am struggling to follow along? Would I make a 2nd question 7? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Could you show an example of how to do that? I am struggling to follow along? Would I make a 2nd question 7? 

Hi @JackP ,

You might want to @ the individual when you respond. This will allow others to know who you are referring to.

More information on Matthew’s reply: Response Requirements & Validation (qualtrics.com)

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi @JackP. The first screen shot shows a simplified demo of the two questions: Q6 and Q7. 

If you’re not familiar with how to set up Custom Validation, see the link that @Chee Heng_SZ shared; also, refer to the screen shot below for a visual on how to access Custom Validation in your question.

Leave a Reply